Monday, September 15, 2008

Monday Musings

I think my blog is getting too political. Moritorium at least for tomorrow. Of course I may change my mind.

Uncle Jay had to go to Brookside park this evening to rescue Nephew Jon who had tire problems on his bike. He called me just as I was getting ready to watch General Hospital. Well, actually as I was getting ready to go back to General Hospital after a phone call from D.C.M.

So I hopped into the car and took off on the rescue mission. It is good to feel wanted. I got him and took him home. He is working to get fit. Rick took him out to the country and dropped him the other day and made him run home. He is going to take a test and there is a tough physical component to it so he is working on it. That plus double shifting at work I don't see him very much.

I had to go to the post office to send a book to California. About 25 years ago I had the great fortune to meet and work with S. Brent Morris on his book "A Radical in the East" (actually he let me sit at his feet while he did all the work. I learned a lot.) which was first printed by Iowa Research Lodge #2. It is supposed to have been reprinted last year but for some reason it has hung up. So when a Brother from California needed a copy I sent him mine. I also had to pay estimated taxes today. That sucks. If any of you owe me money I will be glad to have you pay me back.

Then - I went to a movie. I went to the new George Chooney and Brad Pitt in their movie "Burn After Reading" I enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to see it earlier but I have been way busy. I am secretary of two lodges and the Red Cross of Constantine. And I am working on a major project which I can't share yet. (See I can keep a secret - sort of) and we are getting ready to go to Grand Lodge and there is a Breakfast at there that I have some responsibility for. So I had to get caught up on that. Jon is going to take care of the animals while I am at Grand Lodge so that is good.

And that leads me to today's rant. Yesterday as I was driving to the grocery store I saw something that I really don't like to see. As I was driving along on 13th street the cars in front of me suddenly braked. A very nice looking dog without a person attached walked across the street right in front of the cars.

Today Craig told me about an incident that happened with his wife and their dog.
While she was out walking the youngest of the dogs two bull terriers jumped their fence and started to attack her and the dog. It scared them both and the poor dog is now frightened of other dogs. It upset the whole family.

You know you should be able to take your dog for a walk on a leash without being afraid that something like this is going to happen. We have laws (albeit it weak ones) designed to regulate the behavior of animals in our town. Things like the dog walking across the street or the bull terriers attacking my friend and her dog are not supposed to happen here. It is just fortunate that the dog walking across the street was not hit and killed or injured or that Sheila and Lucky were not harmed. Except for the emotional upset. But it should not have happened. People who do not control their animals do not deserve to have them Animals are wonderful. I love Bailey and Max and Cassie. They are a lot of company for me. Right now as I am writing this Bailey is sleeping on the floor but he is usually up on my recliner leaning against my leg. Cassie is on the arm of my chair and Max is over on the tile where it is cool.

Bailey got out once and Dorothy Hinders found him over by Meeker school. Don't know how it happened but I am very grateful to Dorothy for rescuing him. When I was younger I had beagle puppies killed on the road. I did not know that a beagle would take off after a rabbit scent and run right out in front of anything. I was the one at fault because I did not protect my animal. People who are not responsible should have them taken away from them. Or perhaps fined enough so that it hurts. There, that is my rant. I am glad that my friend and her dog were not hurt. It could have been a lot worse. Now I am going to go and give Bailey a hug. At least I get hugs from him. Thanks for stopping by. Be grateful for your animals and love them. Big hugs, j

3 comments:

BentonQuest said...

I am hoping to see Burn After Reading, it looks good.

Anonymous said...

Jay, FYI - I wish the dogs had a fence - Lucky and I might have had a chance. There was no fencing!!

Anonymous said...

Nearly 10 years ago, I was out walking my dog, who just happened to be a 115 lb. Rottweiler. Despite being neutered, he remained a very dominant dog, extremly protective, and totally unafraid of anything. A neighbor about three blocks away apparently had relatives visiting, who also had a large Rottweiler. This other Rottie was outside, unsupervised, and with no fence.

When we got close, luckily across the street, the other Rottie charged out into the street. My dog went ballistic, ready to defend himself and me at all costs. If you have ever been on the other end of the leash of a very excited, very defensive, very large dog, you will appreciate my situation. If you have ever seen two large dogs disagreeing with each other, you will also appreciate the potential problems that could have happened next.

Luckily, I had a good grip on the leash, and was physically strong enough to control my Rottie. (At this point, his ears had totally turned off, so talking to him was pointless, even though I tried.)

I faced the other dog directly, held up my semi-free hand, and told the other dog to stay. To this day, I am not sure if he stopped in the middle of the street because I told him to, because I was facing him down, or because that was what he felt was the extent of his domain. He didn't back down, but neither did he come any closer. However, he maintained an aggressive stance, and was growling. My dog was barking as only a 100+ lb. dog can do, pulling hard on the leash, and doing his absolute best to meet the other dog on the level and teach him to mess with somebody else. I am sure that if I had tried to walk away, the other dog would have taken that as a sign of weakness, and charged. The stand-off continued for what seemed to be hours, but was probably only a minute or two, before the owner of the other dog came out of the house and dragged him back into the house.

We then continued our walk, but it was a close call.

The lesson: keep your dog controlled at all times. Fences, leashes, and direct supervision are absolutely necessary. And this is as true for small dogs as it is for large ones. Hmmm, guess that is true for children as well. And we dog owners generally view our pets as a special class of children, so the analogy works on more than one level.