Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Thoughts


From One Mountain, Many Paths
An American Freemason Speaks Out for Peace
by Dr. Patrick Swift
Click book or here to go to the page and buy it for yourself,

Patrick has added a beautiful video to his site. I recommend you go and watch it.

Today the book opened to the following:

"How very good and pleasant it is when kindred live together in unity! It is like the precious oil on the head, running down upon the beard, on the beard of Aaron running down over the collar of his robes. It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion. For there the Lord ordained his blessing, life forevermore.


Psalm 133: 1- 3
Judaism & Christianity

I seek a unity all pervading


The Analects of Confucius 35
Confucianism

In the Lodge we use the King James Version of the above
The Blessings of Brotherly Unity
A Song of degrees of David.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
for brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious ointment upon the head,
that ran down upon the beard,
even Aaron's beard:
that went down to the skirts of his garments;
as the dew of Hermon,
and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion:
for there the LORD commanded the blessing,
even life for evermore



I like the King James Version better but that is because the church I used to go to uses it all the time and I am used to it. The meaning is the same and the more modern language is probably easier for some to understand. The sentiment and the meaning is the same. And it points up a beautiful sentiment. Unity. That is a tough one to accomplish. It is hard for people to agree on things. Take as evidence the political landscape today. For the past 8 years we have had a government in the United States that has basically ignored the people and run roughshod over our rights and our liberties. The very things that make our nation great.

Shortly after 9/11 I wrote a poem. It was entitled "Thank You Mr. Bin Laden"
I ended it with the line "Thank you, Mr. Bin Laden for unifying us once again."
It seemed as if our entire country was unified by the horror of that event. As I look back on it now I am saddened that the unity did not last.

In the Lodge we are not to discuss politics or religion. Those two things seem to divide us more than anything else and the founders wisely chose Psalms 133 to remind us just "How Good and How Pleasant it is" when we are unified.

Unfortunately one Lodge member or one member of any group can destroy that unity. I used to belong to a Lodge that is "ruled" by one person. I had a pretty good friend in that Lodge but because of jealousy or envy someone set out to destroy that friendship. He accomplished his goal. Sort of. My friend and I are kind of working our way back to friendship. I hope I can trust him and that he is sincere in wanting me as a friend. I have always wanted him as a friend. I have left the Lodge where he belongs because of the individual mentioned before. I suppose I could have stayed and I would have enjoyed it a lot because there are some good Brothers there but this one individual really drove me away and I hope he is happy. He put me down constantly and swore at me and I decided not to take it anymore. I guess there is unity in that Lodge as long as you do things his way.

I worked with DeMolay for awhile here in Ames and I saw one individual destroy the good feelings that some had there. It was sad. He actually drove some boys away because of his high-handedness. I also saw how one negative thought can ruin a good idea. Time and time again people would come up with an activity they wanted to do and one person would say loudly "that doesn't sound like fun." or put it down is some other manner. The others (the majority) would drop the idea even though most of them wanted to do it because of the one negative voiced opinion.

It is all right to disagree. It is all right to make suggestions of other ideas that you would like. Perhaps both ideas have value and could be done. It is the manner in which you do it that either divides or promotes unity. I would rather have unity and harmony and if it is not there it is my nature to withdraw myself from it. I think it is really sad that one person was able to draw another into his negative web and destroy a friendship.

Friendship is something that is not diminished when it is shared. I can be friends with a lot of people and love them all.

Unfortunately once that friendship and trust has been broken the hurt remains and I become wary of the individual. I tend to be a person who will take an action or a statement that someone does or makes personally and I get hurt a lot because of that. I worry that remarks I make in fun can be taken the wrong way. I do not like to hurt others feelings because mine have been hurt often. I feel "put down" sometimes when I shouldn't. It is not a fun way to be but it is the way I am. There is a lifetime of reasons for it but I won't go there. Because I prefer harmony rather than conflict I will not fight. I just "give a white rose to the cruel friend who tears my heart" and leave them to their pasture. Not the best option perhaps but it is the one I use.

So, if you get a chance to love someone and to be in unity with that person you should not let others destroy that love. "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
for brethren to dwell together in unity!"

ARTYAL - Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, (I miss em) j

2 comments:

Kurt said...

Jay,

You said it best, "Friendship is something that is not diminished when it is shared.".

I'm so very thankful that you are my friend.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

I really thought that was a good line also. I am am thankful and grateful for your friendship. me.