I realized that I did not know much about this piece, except that it was part of Beethoven's Ninth and that the church I went to used it as a hymn.
I looked up the translation and found it interesting. You can read the whole thing here. I really like the part I copied below.
- Be embraced, millions!
- This kiss to the entire world!
- Brothers, above the starry canopy
- Must a loving Father reside.
- Whoever has succeeded in the great attempt
- To be a friend's friend;
- Whoever has won a lovely woman
- Add in his jubilation!
- Yes, who calls even one soul
- His own on the earth's sphere!
- And whoever never could achieve this,
- Let him steal away crying from this gathering!
- Those who occupy the great circle,
- Pay homage to sympathy!
- It leads to the stars
- Where the unknown one reigns.
- To be a friend's friend....Sometimes I really wonder about friends. Do we really have friends any more. I mean real friends of the kind my mother had. She had a group of friends that she played cards with and others who came over for coffee and conversation regularly. And yet, when she became ill there weren't many of them around. Even some family members no longer came over..one of them said that she didn't want to "remember Ruthie like that," I have resented that for a long time. Mother truly loved people and was there for them no matter what. And yet at the end it was just her sister and me who were with her. There were a lot of people at her funeral but I wonder where they were when she was alone while I had to work? If they were real friends why weren't they around earlier?
- I have a lot of people I call friends but they aren't all really friends. I read somewhere on Facebook that true friends can "just pick up where they left off 20 years ago." I can understand when friends move to another state and then come back that it can be like that but in this day and age you can still keep in touch.
- I have just a few people who I feel are really close friends who I can rely on for almost anything. But if we live in the same town and there is no contact whatsoever I think perhaps that we aren't really friends...and that saddens me.
- I think perhaps that it is something wrong with me as I do seem to have people who come into my life and then they are gone. I hate asking people to do things for and with me. I used to have a friend I went out to eat with and did some other things with but that friendship went by the wayside and now we are just friends who see each other if we happen to be at the same meeting, Sometimes I feel bullied by some friends and that isn't a good feeling.
I guess that really Miss Molly is my best friend and she knows when I need some extra hugs. She has been wanting on my lap a lot lately and it helps. I will always be grateful that she is in my life. I think having to stay home is also not much fun but I will get through that, ARTYAL. Hugs, j