Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ruminations of a Retired Reprobate

This is Max
 Max was my sister and then my nephew's dog and Jon had him live with me.  He was a wonderful dog. (He did not like some folks and would bark at them but that was either because he was being protective or they had teased him.  He was a great judge of character.)
 For some reason he had Kidney failure and slowly, slowly passed from being an active fellow to one who just laid around with no energy.  It was hard on all of us. Especially Jon. He would sit with him for hours, just holding and hugging him.
Someone asked me for a sweet corn recipe from my blog today and while I could not find it I did find a web album of Max pictures and boy did that bring out the sadz.. Tear ducts working overtime.  And of course there is also Bailey, my little buddy for whom this blog is named.  I still miss him, lots.
So today I honor them and the "In Remembrance" candle is burning for them as well as for the victims of gun violence. I love Molly and get a lot of enjoyment from her but there is no doubt about it I still hold the other pets in my heart.  Mandy, Kelsey, Boots, Fritz, etc.  There is going to be one hell of a reunion when the universe allows it.

I have a very simple sign on my front door.  It says NO SOLICITATION  and then in smaller print ESPECIALLY OF A RELIGIOUS NATURE.  So today a young man and his friend came up to the door and rang the bell. He wanted to clean something.  Said he went around about once a year offering his service.  I asked him if he could read the sign?  He thought it was just for religious solicitation.  I told him if was for all solicitation and sent him on his way.  Young people these days really need to take REMEDIAL READING classes.  I see a lot of them who can't even read this sign.

I sometimes ask them who their reading teacher was.

And when I see them out on Campus town walking together wearing their baseball caps it makes me think of a pack of velociraptors ....




I really dislike baseball caps.  I used to drive my students nuts by making them take them off in the classroom.  Tee Hee.


Hearts United for Animals -  Please go here and make a donation today.

Just under 7 hours to go! Thursday, May 16th, is a very special day for HUA (Give to Lincoln Day), and we hope you will forgive our many reminders, but we are doing it for the animals! The more donations that come in, the more care and comfort we can give to dogs and cats in need!


NEW THIS YEAR - You can set up your donation NOW to be made on May 16th by leaving the default over the green DONATE button set to "On A Giving Day." Your donation will automatically be made on May 16th!



We thank you in advance for all of your generous support. Programs such as Tia's Place, our Spay/Neuter Clinic, and our Emergency Care program would not exist without your support!




No comments: