Thursday, August 15, 2013


I do not understand how they can call them "shelters' when they kill the animals in their care.  Hearts United for Animals (link on the right) where I got Molly is a "no-kill" facility.  They have what they call "Shelter Sweethearts" who are dogs and cats that for some reason are not adoptable.  Some of them have severe health issues, others are so frightened of people that they do not seem to be able to find homes for them.  These animals are loved and cared for at the facility.  Volunteers from all over come in to work with them and to socialize them.  I follow their progress on Facebook.

When I read the stories of animals brought to Hearts United in boxes and just left there or of the Hearts United folks going to horrific puppy mills to rescue animals living in horrible conditions it bothers me.  I really do not like people who mistreat animals.  I get so very much love from Molly and Cassie that my life would be much diminished without them. Molly was taken to the shelter by her previous owner and just left there.  I cannot imagine leaving a dog I had loved and cared for for four or five years and just abandoning them.  I am wondering what she thought when he left her.  She is such a loving calm dog who is so delightful I can't imagine being without her.

Bailey was also a wonderful dog but his Yorkie temperament was not as calm as Miss Molly.  Speaking of Molly. Jon is back from Arizona for a week and he took her up to Ada Hayden Park for a walk tonight.  She drank a lot of water when she got back and is sleeping soundly at my feet.  It was strange not to have her here while they were gone.

Friend John just sent me this.  Thought I'd share.

1 comment:

John Klaus said...

As you're well aware, I'm a big fan of animal rescue, and I've been active in canine rescue for some years.

All of my 10 dogs and my 22-year-old kitty are rescues, and eight of the dogs have horrendous stories to tell—tales of cruelty, abandonment, and complete disregard for their inherent dignity.

Animals, however, are far more forgiving than people. With plenty of love, attention, good food, good care, and a warm and safe place to sleep. a dog or cat learns to forget the old, bad times, and to love and trust humans. This trait is inbred, and only very seldom fails.

As you note, those poor creatures at HUA who have suffered torture to the point their spirits, and often their bodies, are broken are the ones Carol calls her "Sanctuary Sweethearts," and they have love and care for life. You and I have met some of them.

The reason many publicly-funded shelters euthanize so many creatures is, quite simply, that the general public is unwilling either to spay and neuter their pets, or to pay the bill to allow unwanted creatures to live their natural lives in dignity.