Thursday, September 12, 2013

A lesson from the flood.

Denver Post Photo
I saw the above photo over at a blog that I read. It shows the power of water as it sweeps through an area wreaking havoc (doesn't that bring all sorts of pictures to mind?) and destroying everything in its path.  But as I looked at the picture I saw something else.  I saw a tree standing calmly with the water rushing around and by it.  I thought instead of why the tree was able to stand still as the destruction went all around it.  The reason?  The tree had deep roots which enabled it to remain upright.  Other trees will have fallen and been swept away. Either they did not have the deep wide-spread root system which enabled it to stand strong amid the raging tide or they were not planted in good soil.

We can liken that to all people with a deep belief system (of whatever faith) which strengthens and supports them and enables them to continue where others fail.  The belief must be planted in good soil that nurtures and sustains the individual and will allow them to withstand the forces which would destroy them.

No comments: