Thursday, July 2, 2015

TBT

In April of 1981 there was a train derailment at the Underpass in Ames.  My photos are first then there is a video which someone posted following. 

I love the Underpass, not only because it saves me time when the train blocks the traffic but also because of the family connection.  
My great-uncle Ben's company built it.  


It is interesting to me that with all of the banners around Ames right now celebrating the City and the "City Father's" there is never mention of the builders who actually BUILT the town... The Cole Family does not have a street named in their honor but there are others who also do not have streets in their name.  
So be it! 
The Ames Historical Society has a Web site you can use to see more.












Here is a video which someone posted about the Derailment. Click to view at his YouTube video.

Uploaded on Nov 13, 2011
In about August(***CORRECTION!! I found my old newspaper from the day after. The derailment happened about 2 PM on Sunday, April 26, 1981. An article on the same page mentions that a record high temp of 88 was set, which explains the summer dress of spectators for early spring in Iowa***) of 1981, a Chicago and Northwestern train derailed in Ames, Iowa. I went and saw it shortly after it happened, but I had completely forgotten that I shot a roll of film of it with my super 8mm movie camera. I came across the film today and copied it onto video and uploaded it here. They said at the time that it was probably due to a sun-kink in a rail. a bunch of empty coal cars accordioned up on the overpass over Grand Avenue, with one of them falling to the street. Fortunately there were no injuries, the closest call being a northbound motorcyclist who had to brake hard and jump off his bike and run back the way he came from. The bike slid on ahead and was crushed by the coal hopper. Toward the end of the film, I shot briefly from a rail bridge that doesn't exist any more. It used to be just south of the main line bridge and angled across Grand to the southeast and curved to head south out of town.

No comments: