Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Toad Tuesdays


Microaggression - Researchers report that most perpetrators of microaggressions consider themselves to be unprejudiced, with one U.S. study finding that even mental health professionals with extensive antiracist training engaged in microaggressions with African-American clients.
Because perpetrators are generally well-meaning and microaggressions are subtle, their recipients often experience attributional ambiguity, which may lead them to dismiss the experience and blame themselves as overly sensitive. If challenged by the minority person or an observer, perpetrators will often defend their microaggression as a misunderstanding, a joke, or something small that shouldn't be blown out of proportion.
In guidance for mental health professionals, Sue asks them to be aware that everyone commits microaggressions, and says that if they are accused of committing one they should remain non-defensive and quickly apologize.  Source Wikipiedia

People do not realize that they are doing something which could be hurtful. 
The comic Craig  Ferguson (who I loved) used to tell a joke (usually anti-gay in nature) which he would end with the words "It's just a joke.  I noticed that he got a lot of groans from his audience and most times and I think that eventually he got the message that people did not like his microggrassive behavior.  At least he stopped doing those as much.

I remember one time that there was a song called "Jump Jim Crow"The expression to jump Jim Crow came to mean "to act like a stereotyped stage caricature of a black person."  The song was in our Music Book in the 90's and it is a catchy little tune.  However I did it should not be used because it was racist - I caught a little flack from that from the music teacher who said that I saw discrimination in it so I had to photocopy the article so that she would understand.   

I think that when we discriminate we are being harmful to others and I will take a stand when I see it.  Perhaps that is I am careful around comedians.  I love comedy but I don't like it when people are hurt by it.  I guess why I like puns.  

No comments: