...the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support. Geo. Washington Feb. 22, 1732
Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
Robert Kennedy, South Africa 1966.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
When I got home I decided to take some pictures of the remaining daffodils in front of my house.
Monday, April 29, 2013
I rode in the front seat the other day. I kind of liked it but BG was a little nervous about having me there. He says I have to ride in back from now on.
We drove past the cemetery. It looked nice but they have a sign that says "No pets." BG would like to be able to take me there for walks but he can't -so I guess I won't be able to go there.
He had both of us asking for attention and he was fine with that. He is a nice guy. We all hope he will come back for a visit sometime.
He used to have a dog but he had to give it away because he was not around enough. BG is around a lot and I like that.
Thanks for stopping by to see me. Hugz and big sloppy kissez..Have a nice week!
P.S. Jon sent a photo of Miles. He got his hairs cut.
Sunday, April 28, 2013
Law Professor John Yoo Apparently Unaware of Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure
To Professor John Yoo
RE: Your Abysmal Ignorance
Immediately following the ratification of our Constitution it was amended to protect the rights of the citizens. Several of those amendments seem to address your ignorance (I put some others there just to refresh your memory.)
A short session with the Google will provide you with the following information:
Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.
- The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
- No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
- Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel
- In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
- In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
- Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
- Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.
- The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
- And the rights must be read to him or information obtained may not be used -
...The person in custody must, prior to interrogation, be clearly informed that he/she has the right to remain silent, and that anything the person says will be used against that person in court; the person must be clearly informed that he/she has the right to consult with an attorneyand to have that attorney present during questioning, and that, if he/she is indigent, an attorney will be provided at no cost to represent him/her.
It is not rocket science to understand this nor does it take a law professor to explain it. Perhaps as an attorney and professor at the prestigious University of California Berkeley School of Law you should apply for and undertake a basic course in Constitutional law. But then you never did seem to understand things since you said that it was alright to torture prisoners. Perhaps you need to move to a country that accepts that sort of thing.
In America citizens have rights. I don't plan to give up any of them voluntarily and neither should anyone.
As usual George sang it best:
Country music has become the music that best represents the reality of American life.
Bishop Gene Robinson
People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child-our own two eyes. All is a miracle.
Ten thousand flowers in spring,
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
In today’s interconnected and globalized world, it is
now commonplace for people of dissimilar world views,
faiths and races to live side by side. It is a matter of
great urgency, therefore, that we find ways to
cooperate with one another in a spirit of mutual
acceptance and respect.
Saturday, April 27, 2013
1cup Apricot puree
1cup Condensed milk
3T Lemon juice
1¼cups Vanilla wafers, crushed
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
1 cup Whipping cream
½ cup Maple syrup
22 Graham crackers, crushed
½ cup Confectioner's sugar
½ cup Butter
2 8 oz. pkg. Cream cheese
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Cherry pie filling (Blueberry pie filling is good too.)
Friday, April 26, 2013
You just can't beat a Norwegian!
Ole and Sven, working as search and rescue workers, have recovered 826 bodies so far, and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night.
Ole replies "When ve got married I told you I loved you. If I ever change my mind I'll let ya know."
The clerk responded, "We'd really prefer that you try it on in the dressing room."
Every year for the 17th of May parade the Swedes line up on one side of the road for the parade, the Norwegians on the other side. Those crazy Swedes would throw firecrackers at the Norwegians. Of course the Norwegians would get mad and light the firecrackers and throw them back.
Ole replies: "Oh, for long time. I'm building a house."