Friday, September 9, 2016

Found for Friday

William Penn and the Price of Pastry   
William Penn, the founder and mayor of Philadelphia, had two aunts - Hattie and Sophia - who were skilled in the baking arts. One day, "Big Bill" was petitioned by the citizens of his town because the three bakeries in the town had, during the Revolution, raised the price of pies to the point that only the rich could afford them.

Not wanting to challenge the bakeries directly, he turned to his aunts and asked their advice. But when they had heard the story, the two old ladies were so incensed over the situation that they offered to bake 100 pies themselves, and sell them for 2 cents lower that any of the bakeries were charging.

It was a roaring success. Their pies sold out quickly, and very soon they had managed to bring down the price of all kinds of pastry in Philadelphia.

In fact, even to this very day, their acheivements are remembered as the remarkable Pie rates of Penn's aunts.


How do you become renowned? Do you have to be nowned first?


Why did the turtle cross the road?
To get to the Shell station.


Why did the cows return to the marijuana field?
It was the pot calling the cattle back.



Have you tried looking up impotence on the Internet? Nothing comes up.


What do the French enjoy eating snails so much?
Because they hate fast food.


Encyclopedias are loud. They speak volumes.


How do you turn soup into gold?
Add 24 carrots.


A dermatologist's knowledge may only be skin deep.


People tell me I'm turning into my father.
But he does insist on standing in the middle of my driveway.


The pasta I had last night was so good. It was worth every penne.



I wasn't originally going to get a brain transplant, but then I changed my mind.



Never put all your begs in one ask-it.



A friend of mine tried to annoy me with bird puns, but I soon realized that toucan play at that game.


Yesterday I accidentally swallowed some food coloring. The doctor says I'm OK, but I feel like I've dyed a little inside.



I'd tell you a chemistry joke but I know I wouldn't get a reaction.


Isn't the grand Canyon just gorges?


Have you ever tried to eat a clock? It's very time consuming.






HT/ JMK


No comments: