Sunday, December 30, 2012

Apiarian II




Were I to be the founder of a new sect, I would call it Apiarians - and after the example of the bee, advise them to extract the honey of every sect. My fundamental principle would be that we are to be saved by our good works which are within our power, and not by our faith which is not within our power."


"The religion of Jesus is founded on the Unity of God, and this principle chiefly gave it triumph over the rabble of heathen gods then acknowledged. Thinking men of all nations rallied readily to the doctrine of one only God [sic] and embrased it with the pure-morals which Jesus inculcated. 

Thomas Jefferson

From Revealation  22:2 -  In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

"The secret of health for both mind and body in not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, not to anticipate the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly."
             Buddha (563-483 BC) 

The following was found on the page Following Atticus by Tom Ryan, a wonderful book that will tug your heartstrings.
Gleanings from Song of Myself by Walt Whitman 1819–1892


A learner with the simplest, a teacher of the thoughtfullest,
A novice beginning yet experient of myriads of seasons,
Of every hue and caste am I, of every rank and religion,
A farmer, mechanic, artist, gentleman, sailor, quaker,
Prisoner, fancy-man, rowdy, lawyer, physician, priest.


I resist any thing better than my own diversity,
Breathe the air but leave plenty after me,
And am not stuck up, and am in my place.


(The moth and the fish-eggs are in their place,
The bright suns I see and the dark suns I cannot see are in their place,
The palpable is in its place and the impalpable is in its place.)

These are really the thoughts of all men in all ages and lands, they are not original with me,
If they are not yours as much as mine they are nothing, or next to nothing,
If they are not the riddle and the untying of the riddle they are nothing,
If they are not just as close as they are distant they are nothing.


This is the grass that grows wherever the land is and the water is,
This the common air that bathes the globe.
....
I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware I sit content.


One world is aware and by far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own to-day or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness I can wait.

...

This minute that comes to me over the past decillions,
There is no better than it and now.


What behaved well in the past or behaves well to-day is not such a wonder,
The wonder is always and always how there can be a mean man or an infidel.

...
All truths wait in all things,
They neither hasten their own delivery nor resist it,
They do not need the obstetric forceps of the surgeon,
The insignificant is as big to me as any,
(What is less or more than a touch?)


Logic and sermons never convince,
The damp of the night drives deeper into my soul.


(Only what proves itself to every man and woman is so,
Only what nobody denies is so.)

...
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain’d,
I stand and look at them long and long.


They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,
Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.
...

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?
I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,
In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass,
I find letters from God dropt in the street, and every one is sign’d by God’s name,
And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoe’er I go,
Others will punctually come for ever and ever.
...



Namaste


1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

i agree the littlest acts of kindness are the most profound; we just don't see how they evolve into something cosmic.