Friday, July 11, 2014

Another Spontaneous Photo Shoot! Photos by Bob Kelly

 On July 9th, I chose to drive around on some hilly, gravel roads west of Boone, to see if I could find some interesting photo subjects, and as usual, I surely did!  I first encountered a pair of fawns lounging around in the middle of a gravel road.  I took some shots from some distance, and then inched closer and closer until I got the one shown here, after which they bolted away into the brush.



Along a road ditch I observed the "Corn Lily", a wild kind of lily that grows abundantly in rural road ditches this time of year.  Along the same road, right at the edge of the gravel there were lots of lovely blue/light purple plants named "Hoary Vervain", and feasting on them was a lovely orange and black "Painted Lady," and a bit further a yellow "Clouded Sulphur" butterfly.


 A most interesting yellow and black ladybird type beetle was crawling along a leaf, and from some research my best guess is that it is a "14 Spot Ladybird," and a  most interesting one at that.  The seed head for the "Snake Grass" plant was very textured and interesting.  This plant also called "Horsetail" or "Puzzle Grass," spreads by dispersing spores from the head you see in the photo, apparently all packed inside where those little circles can be seen.  We used to collect lots of these, and take them all apart at the black ring area, and then reassemble them into long strands….fun childhood memories!

 Rounding a curve I saw the spotted colt I had photographed earlier on April 22, 2014.  You can see that posting here.  The colt had grown along with a likely cousin of his, and the small herd enjoyed some fresh hay as I took their photo, and as they pretty much ignored me!
 On the way back through Boone I blinked with excitement when I saw the vibrant blue, old water pump contrasted with the bright orange lilies.  It was a MUST shoot, and I was able to carefully not show anything to distract one from the vibrant color contrast of the photo.  Driving by a railroad storage yard I noticed these large wood beams, about 8 by 8 inches, and I was intrigued by the patterns of the tree rings that showed from the end of the beams, so it became a challenging subject for men to capture and isolate in the frame at the same time



.  The last shot shows lovely display of one the street lights found in downtown Boone right now, as they display lovely red, white, and dark blue cascading petunias along side a lantern looking street light, adorned by a flag.  There are many dozens of these on every street light, and if you travel though Boone, they are hard to miss.  The old brick building behind the display provided a consistent color shading for a background, as a bit of  blue sky peeked in from above.  It was a good shoot, and a good time for me!




No comments: