Sunday, February 11, 2018

Aparian


"Were I to be the founder of a new sect,
I would call them Apiarians, and, after the example of the bee,
advise them to extract the honey of every sect."  
- Thomas Jefferson


"Every great dream begins with a dreamer.
Always remember, you have within you the strength,
the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars
to change the world."
-Harriet Tubman



" 'I don’t feel very much like Pooh today,' said Pooh.
'There there,' said Piglet.
'I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do.' "
~A. A. Milne (1882-1956)




"Fortunately the sky is beautiful everywhere."
~Simone Weil (1909-1943)

"God turns you from one feeling to another
and teaches you by means of opposites,
so that you will have two wings to fly - not one."
~Rumi



“Whenever you are confronted with an opponent.
Conquer him with love.”
~Mahatma Gandhi


“Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
it can only be attained through understanding.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


“Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things,
man will not himself find peace.”
~Albert Schweitzer



"Sailors have an expression about the weather:
they say the weather is a great bluffer.
I guess the same is true of our human society —
things can look dark, then a break shows in the clouds,
and all is changed."
~E. B. White (1899-1985)


"Most of our love is shabby stuff,
but there is always a thin line of gold,
the bit of pure love on which all the rest depends
-- and which redeems all the rest."
~Iris Murdoch (1919-1999)


When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.”
~Wendell Berry, The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry





No comments: