Monday, December 3, 2018

Monday Poetry

I took part in a "poem a day exercise --  I think it is timely!




Today, I want you to write an outsider poem. You can be the outsider; someone else can be the outsider; or it can even be an animal or inanimate object that's the outsider. As usual, get creative with the prompt and don't be afraid to stretch the limits.

"Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
… "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Outsiders

Explorers looking for a new place to be
A home for you and for me.

A promise of a place to belong –
Somewhere to sing a brand new song.

Pilgrims looking for a land to worship free
To be with their God on bended knee

Outsiders all - found this place on the globe
As this new land they did search and probe

They explored and conquered the land
Pioneers in brave tiny bands

It was here that they pledged their lives
Humble men and their hardy wives

Others now look at these golden places
And come with hope upon their faces

No longer outsiders looking in
The Irish, the French, German and Finn

The Asian, African, Russian Turk
All have found a new place to work.

Americans all standing side by side
A part of this country. No longer outside.

No comments: