Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Salute XXXIX



Whoopi Goldberg - 1992
The honoree today is one of my very favorites.  We share a birthday (although not the year she is my junior) and I have enjoyed her in every thing I have seen her do.  I even watch The View on occasion just because I need a dose of Whoopi.  My favorite roll was as Guinan on Star Treck.
From Wikipedia
Whoopi Goldberg ( born Caryn Elaine Johnson; November 13, 1955) is an American comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, political activist, author and talk show host.
...
Goldberg has been nominated for 13 Emmy Awards for her work in television. She was co-producer of the popular game show Hollywood Squares from 1998 to 2004. She has been the moderator of the daytime talk show The View since 2007. Goldberg has a Grammy, two Emmys, two Golden Globes, a Tony (for production, not acting), and an Oscar. In addition, Goldberg has a British Academy Film Award, four People's Choice Awards, and has been honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. All of this has made her one of the most accomplished actors of her generation, and she is one of the few entertainers who have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award.
...
Goldberg is one of few to win an Oscar, a Grammy, a Tony, and an Emmy. She has been seen in over 150 films, and during a period in the 1990s, Whoopi was the highest-paid actress of all time. Her humanitarian efforts include working for Comic Relief, recently reuniting with Billy Crystal and Robin Williams for the 20th Anniversary of Comic Relief.
...
On April 1, 2010, Whoopi Goldberg joined Cyndi Lauper in the launch of her Give a Damn campaign to bring a wider awareness of discrimination of the LGBT community. The campaign is to bring straight people to ally with the gay, lesbian, bisexualtransgender community. Other names included in the campaign are Jason MrazElton JohnJudith Light,Cynthia NixonKim KardashianClay AikenSharon Osbourne, and Kelly Osbourne. 
Whoopi's Quotes 


I am where I am because I believe in all possibilities.

For some reason, all artists have self-esteem issues.

Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine.

Most of all, I dislike this idea nowadays that if you're a black person in America, then you must be called African-American. Listen, I've visited Africa, and I've got news for everyone: I'm not an African.

My family is Jewish, Buddhist, Baptist and Catholic. I don't believe in man-made religions.

Sitting at the table during Color Purple and looking up and suddenly realizing I was acting in front of Steven Spielberg, was pretty cool. It was pretty good.

The Africans know I'm not an African. I'm an American.

The art of acting is to be other than what you are.

We're born with success. It is only others who point out our failures, and what they attribute to us as failure.

When I listen to these women, it makes what I thought were my hard knocks feel like little nudges.

When I started, I knew I didn't fit any visual that anyone was going to lie down and take their clothes off about. Work doesn't come to me; I go out and look for it.

When I was doing ensemble theater and comedy work, I felt I had some talents. But when I started doing my shows in Berkeley and found that I could be funny on my own, I was shocked.

When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.

You know, be an actor because you love to act. Don't be an actor because you think you're going to get famous, because that's luck.

I'm a big old egotistical baby and that's okay. I can accept it.


I think the idea that you know who your inner self is on a daily basis, because... you know. What's good for you 25 years ago may not be good for you now. So, to keep in touch with that, I think that's the first ingredient for success. Because if you're a successful human being, everything else is gravy, I think.


It bums me out tremendously what the church has become, and if it's got me bummed, imagine what Jesus Christ must be feeling.


Previous Salutes


 Brad Pitt  
Bishop Desmond Tutu            
Betty White       


1 comment:

Dianne said...

I have loved her for years!!
I wish she'd leave that show of screaming loons and do something worthy of her