Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Salute XXI

Audrey Hepburn was a beautiful woman. On the outside and on the inside.  Her movies enriched us all and enthralled me as a youngster. She was beautiful, glamourous, talented and more.  

From Wikipedia:
"Audrey Hepburn (born Audrey Kathleen Ruston; 4 May 1929 – 20 January 1993) was a British actress and humanitarian. Hepburn was ranked as the third greatest female screen legend in the history of American cinema and a place in the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame."

What makes her worthy of a Sunday Salute is her work with the United Nations UNICEF in her later years.  

Again from Wikipedia:

"Hepburn remains one of few people who have won Academy, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Awards.
She appeared in fewer films as her life went on, devoting much of her later life to UNICEF. Although contributing to the organisation since 1954, she worked in some of the most profoundly disadvantaged communities of Africa, South America and Asia between 1988 and 1992. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in recognition of her work as aUNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in late 1992, but a month later, aged 63, Hepburn died of appendiceal cancer at her home in Switzerland in early 1993."

After her passing her sons created the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund.
Quotes

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.


I decided, very early on, just to accept life unconditionally; I never expected it to do anything special for me, yet I seemed to accomplish far more than I had ever hoped. Most of the time it just happened to me without my ever seeking it.


I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.



I was asked to act when I couldn't act. I was asked to sing 'Funny Face' when I couldn't sing, and dance with Fred Astaire when I couldn't dance - and do all kinds of things I wasn't prepared for. Then I tried like mad to cope with it.



It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so 'don't fuss, dear; get on with it.'


Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl's complexion.

You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.


Previous Salutes
  Princess Diana    Harry S Truman   
John Shelby Spong  Nelson Mandella     Rachael Maddow   Matt Damon  
Jehan Sadat   Jane Goodall    Mohandas Gandhi  
 Eleanor Roosevelt    Lyndon B. Johnson      Michelle Obama
Helen Hayes   Marion Wright Edelman     Bishop Gene Robinson
Bishop Desmond Tutu       Rachel Carson          Helen Keller
Martin Luther King, Jr          Dalai Lama         Dag Hammarskjold

No comments: