Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Salute XXIII

Paul Newman was an actor and a director, but more than that he was a great philanthropist.  

Newman's first Film was The Silver Chalice and while it was not a great success I remember going to it as a youngster and liking it. It may have been because of the Thomas B. Costain novel on which it was based as I remember reading several of his novels,  Or it could have just been because I liked Newman.  I absolutely loved Cool Hand Luke!  (In 2005, the United States Library of Congress deemed Cool Hand Luke to be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.)

The reason Newman rates a salute is because of his philanthropy.. Newman was a co-founder of Newman's Own, a food company from which Newman donated all post-tax profits and royalties to charity. As of June 2012, these donations exceeded $330 million.


“A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
“I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant.”  


“I don't like to discuss my marriage, but I will tell you something which may sound corny but which happens to be true. I have steak at home. Why should I go out for hamburger?”  

“We are such spendthrifts with our lives, the trick of living is to slip on and off the planet with the least fuss you can muster. I’m not running for sainthood. I just happen to think that in life we need to be a little like the farmer, who puts back into the soil what he takes out.”  
“You only grow when you are alone.”  

“The problem with getting older is you still remember how things used to be.”  

“Those with a moral deficit put on a good show, and sleep like a baby.”  

“The embarrassing thing is that my salad dressing is out-grossing my films.”

“It's like chasing a beautiful woman for 80 years. Finally, she relents and you say, 'I'm terribly sorry. I'm tired.' [After winning his first Oscar after so many losses]”


“It's all been a bad joke that just ran out of control. I got into food for fun but the business got a mind of its own. Now - my good Lord - look where it has gotten me. My products are on supermarket shelves, in cinemas, in the theater. And they say show business is odd.”

“It's been a privilege to be here.”  




Previous Salutes 
Michelle Obama  Audrey Hepburn     Princess Diana    Harry S Truman   
John Shelby Spong  Nelson Mandella     Rachael Maddow   Matt Damon  
Jehan Sadat   Jane Goodall    Mohandas Gandhi  
 Eleanor Roosevelt    Lyndon B. Johnson      Michelle Obama
Helen Hayes   Marion Wright Edelman     Bishop Gene Robinson
Bishop Desmond Tutu       Rachel Carson          Helen Keller
Martin Luther King, Jr          Dalai Lama         Dag Hammarskjold

1 comment:

Harpers Keeper said...

Besides being a truly wonderful human being, Newman was always one of my favorite actors. So many wonderful film roles over the years but the first image that always comes to mind when his name is mentioned is Brick in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".