Thursday, August 14, 2014

Throwback Thursday

Mandy &
Kelsey

Mandy was a rescue that I saved (along with her mother and other puppies) who were going to be "put down" (I hate that phrase) - Nan Ripley was our School Secretary and she loved dogs as much as I did.  She was not able to take the dogs so I took them to my house and we found for homes for all of them  Mandy was the last one to be adopted.  My friend Steve Oates had found someone to take her.  Then my sister decided that she really wanted to take her.  My grandfather's dog was our only dog right then and Mother and I decided that perhaps she could take her if we could get her back.  As things worked out the Universe the allowed it to happen and Mandy was the best dog we had had (until Bailey and Molly came along) and she was so much fun and so many stories could be told about her. 

Our friends Morrie and Maryjane Rabinowitz came for a visit and they were wanting a Sheltie and were out at a place near Ames where they breed them  They did not find a dog but I saw this Tri-color (male) that was there for breeding purposes.  I fell in love with him and the owners were willing to sell him to me.  So Kelsey came to live with us.  She and Mandy got along well together and we became a two dog family.  Mandy had been with us since she was a pup.  Kelsey was full grown and he had some "quirks" one of which he would spin when he got excited.  When my nephew saw him spin he let with a remark (NSFW) which entered in the lexicon of our family.  (classes of idiomatic expressions and other collocations are also considered to be part of the lexicon)

He also was not fond of my ritual book while I was studying my part.  Kelsey would bat at me as if to say "put that away and play with me dad."  Once he took the book while I was gone and chewed at the leather cover. But I could still use it and there wasn't much I could do about it.

These dogs were great dogs and I still miss them.

The birdbath and bench was made by my grandfather and I still have it. or at least what was left of it. 




No comments: