Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Toad Tuesday

I don't really have any thing earth-shattering to write about right now so I will just give you a few things I have found to share. 
  
 First is a picture I took at Ada Haden lake.  I am really pleased with it.   I found about her from the Internets and so now after I share this picture (which I use also use on my phone) and have used it for my Facebook Cover Picture.

Ada Hayden
Ada Hayden (1884-1950) was born on August 14, 1884 in Ames, Iowa. She earned a Bachelor of Science (1908) and Doctor of Philosophy (1918) degrees at Iowa State University. Hayden also earned a Master of Science degree (1910) from Washington University in St. Louis. Hayden was the first woman to earn a Doctor of Philosophy degree at Iowa State University.

She was an Instructor (1910-1918) in Botany, an Assistant Professor (1919-1950) of Botany, and named Curator of the Herbarium (1947-1950). Photographing and illustrating plants was a specialty as well. During her time at Iowa State she added more than 40,000 specimens to the herbarium.

In 1988, the Iowa State University herbarium was named the Ada Hayden Herbarium in honor of its former curator. Hayden was an avid conservationist who worked to have natural prairies in the state set aside as preserves. After her death a prairie preserve in Howard County, Iowa, was named the Ada Hayden Prairie Preserve by the Iowa Conservation Commission.

Two Dogs
 When I was taking pictures of some Ames houses (you can see them in my Facebook) I saw this lady waking her dog.  I thought he (she?) was a beautiful dog so I  asked if I could take a picture.  I should have asked more -  at least a name.  No matter I liked the dog.
 And there here is a picture of my sister's Sheltie. Liza had bladder stones.  Some might call them stones.  I think they were more like rocks.  Poor baby.  No wonder she was having blood in her urine.  Liza is a beautiful dog.  She is a rescue and was really abused by her breeder. Or that I what I call it.  They had her debarked - I am not really a fan of procedure but it was done.  I think it was really more of a abuse to keep her in a cage and not make socialization a priority.  Dogs are social animals and when they are just used for breeding and IMHO they were abusing.  I am glad that she has Ginny now and she is a beautiful dog.

UPDATE FROM GINNY

Liza is doing wonderfully! She took her bandage off her leg where the IV was in and has been trying to scratch where her stitches are with her back legs. She is back to doing her business in the bathroom instead of the carpet like she was before her operation. She was 4 1/2 when I got her and since she had spent a lot of time in a kennel, she was never housebroken. Her veterinarian said that as old as she was when I got her she probably never would be housebroken. She is bouncing around when I come home and in the morning which makes her a great therapy dog for me.


Galabia
In 1976 I noticed a lot the Egyptian men wore this garment - I purchased one and found it was the most comfortable I had ever worn.  I got several of them after I retired and I spend most of my time at home wearing them.  Not only that they are inexpensive.  I get them about $32. each and than is mailed to me from Egypt.

 My friend and brother was out in June and he was sure that I needed to have this taken then.  I ran across it the other day and now you get to see it.

No comments: