Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day!



A Valentine (1860)
I found an old, old, valentine
of my mother’s yesterday;
An age-stained, lacy, lovely thing
That she had put away
Between the covers of a book,
And as I touched it there,
I saw her young and beautiful
The sunlight on her hair,
The love-light in her dark, young eyes
That years could not destroy,
And through the paper lace there walked
My father as a boy.

Somewhere along the heavenly lanes
Today, their eyes ashine,
I think he asks her once again
To be his Valentine.

Grace Noll Crowel

It is my tradition to post this poem.  It always made my mother cry to have me read it.  It really describes what we both think is the love her parents had for one another.  Happy Valentine's Day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are some Valentine's which were collected by my Great-Aunt Avis Cole.  My Grandfather's sister.  She taught for more than 40 years in Roosevelt Elementary School, Ames, Iowa.







1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

Happy belated day to you too!