Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A New (to me) Author

My days and nights seem to be turned around.  I have not been sleeping well so I wake up and can't go back to sleep. Then in the daytime I nap  It is not conducive to being rested and productive.  It does however give me time to read. 


 I recently discovered Elizabeth Chadwick, an English author,  who writes historical novels with strong women as the main characters.  The first one I read was Lady of the English which is about two English Queens Matilda, (Daughter of Henry I and Mother of Henry II) and her stepmother Adeliza (Henry's widowed Queen.  Both women are "Lady of the English" a title given to England's Queen.


The novel is a unique form of learning about history.  I enjoy the stories and being able to imagine life as it was lived in earlier times.  They (the novels) give me a sense of 'being there" and actually participating in history.  I realize that it is historical fiction but it does give me insights into the time.  I enjoy it.  I can use my imagination and it has always been a genre which I like. 


The thing I enjoyed about Lady of the English is how these two women were able to play out on History and place Matilda's son Henry II on the throne after it had been usurped by Stephen.  Women were not allowed to participate in government and for these women to work behind the scenes to accomplish what they accomplished was something most of the HIStory books ignore.  That is another reason I find historical fiction worthwhile because if fills gaps in my knowledge.


You can read a synopsis of Lady of the English by clicking here and you can visit the web site of Elizabeth Chadwick to discover her means of research which involve re-enactment and consulting the Akashic Record) and find out more about her novels.  I have started a second one and am looking forward to her trilogy on Eleanor of Aquitaine wife of Henry II.  - It is 1:48 AM and since Bailey has gone back to sleep perhaps I will be able to also.  If not I will read a chapter or two.  Thanks for stopping by.  Hugs

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

don't take naps, and get up every day at 8AM and go for a walk. this will set your internal clock.