Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday's Surprise

U.S. Highway 30 crosses Iowa from East to West (or West to East depending on which way you are driving.  In 1959 (the year I graduated from High School the Iowa Department of Transportation made a film of a portion of that road to convince people that it needed to be modernized and made safer.

Someone on Facebook found that film and the Web Site where it resides today.


It was taken using a ladder on the back of a station wagon and a brave cameraman (camera person) probably tied to the top of the ladder.  I don't know where they had the musicians who played the background music.

Relocation Film from Iowa DOT on Vimeo.

The thing I found most engaging about it was looking at the cars and the fashions of the women when they passed by them,  I was sorry I could not get it to embiggen as it would have been fun to see a little larger perspective.  It only lasts about 20 minutes and I hope you will enjoy it.  You can also view it on this Web Site in a clearer larger format.and it has more information about how it was filmed.

No comments: