Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Photos by Bob Kelly

On Monday, April 21, I was out driving west of Boone (without my camera….BIG mistake), and I noticed a cute pinto colt out in a pasture, and I mentally took lots of photos. I went back to the area and looked all around, but did not see him, so I continued on the gravel road back towards Boone.  As I rounded a curve I saw some horses out of the corner of my eye as I drove by, and as usual….I braked, and backed up for a closer look, and there he was along with four other adult horses one of which I assume was its mother.

I took the vertical photo as this adult horse was also a pinto, a parent maybe….not sure.  A bit later the colt and the tan colored horse moved together and I could tell by the movements of the colt that this one WAS his mother as he stayed close to her.  I loved the brief moment, when hiding behind her for security, he peeked out to see me!  I talked softly (no horse whisperer here), but they seemed to like my tone as they approached closer for a two shot, with the other horses eating hay in the background.  As a parting shot, the colt stood there for his closeup.  It was a good shoot!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my, there is another mare there that looks like she is about to foal! The other pinto adult may be Daddy trying to catch new mom's next estres(sp?) to create next year's cutie. I used to breed appaloosas!