Thursday, December 15, 2016

Throwback Thursday

First a little tray that I purchased when I was in my Egyptian "phase" after I went to Egypt (1976) -  I know it is old because it is marked, Nippon

Nippon porcelain refers to vasesteapots, wall plaques, humidors, and other ceramic objects stamped with the word Nippon on their bases. The practice began in 1891 in response to the U.S. McKinley Tariff Act, which forbade the import of items that weren’t “plainly marked, stamped, branded, or labeled in legible English words.” Nippon is the English spelling of a pronunciation of what Americans call Japan, but in 1921, the word was ruled Japanese in origin, so Nippon was no longer accepted by U.S. Customs Agents. From then on, imported Japanese china was stamped Japan.


And I am not sure what this is but I liked it so I got it in an antique shop and there it is.

No comments: