Friday, January 1, 2010

It is 2010

I went to Des Moines tonight to the Des Moines Symphony's New Year's Eve Pops
Frank's Way A Tribute to Frank Sinatra with Steve Lippia and the Des Moines Big Band. It was wonderful. You know I really should go to more Symphony events. I love it and the Civic Center is easy to get to with good parking and a Skywalk from the ramp to the Center. I went down early enough to eat at Jethro's Barbecue (Ham sandwich and Waffle fries and a glass of Jamison) Every screen had the Insight Bowl on it and every time Iowa State scored the place went nuts. (I found out after the Concert that Iowa State won 14-13

I sat next to a delightful lady from North Carolina (Lives near Ashville - Jon and I actually stayed there one time on one of our trips.) and we had a nice conversation. She and her husband were here visiting her daughter who lives in Urbandale. I saw several friends and had two of Frank's Drinks. One - three shots of Jack Daniels on the Rocks and the other an "Old Blue Eyes" which had Blue Curacao, vodka and Sprite in it and when I took my blood sugar at 11:30 after I got home it was only 111.

Anyway it was a great evening. Music is the universal language and the Frank Sinatra songs were all familiar and well done. In fact, if you closed your eyes you thought you were actually at a Frank Sinatra Concert. They finished off the concert with the song Frank stole from Liza Minnelli. (If you know what that was you can put it in the comments.) And the 2200 in attendance sang Auld Lang Syne.

There were two numbers which were not Sinatra Numbers performed by the Orchestra. The William Tell Overture and The Blue Danube Waltz. Both were flawless. The Des Moines Big Band also performed with them. They are a marvelous Jazz orchestra and the first time I heard them was at the Scottish Rite Gala in October. I am going to go see them at Adventureland where they perform every Monday night. They were formed the year I graduated from High School - 1959 and are celebrating their 50th Anniversary.

It was a wonderful way to top of what has been, for me, a pretty good year. I hope you had a safe and sane New Year's Eve and this next decade is good to you - Hugs, and ARTYAL.

Speaking of that I got a really nice text message from Trevor on the way home and since I don't text I called him. It was wonderful to hear from him and to talk to him Nite nite. j

No comments: