Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Eastern Star Tuesday

In October of 1966 I became a 4th generation member of Laura Chapter #115, Order of the Eastern Star. In 1971 I was the Sentinel (the person who sits outside the door to keep interruptions from happening) and the next year I was Associate Patron, then Worthy Patron two years in a row. (Eventually I was Patron 10 times.) While I was Secretary of the Lodge I did not feel I had the time to participate but tonight when I went to the Installation I noticed that the Sentinel's position had not been filled - so I volunteered.
After the Installation the Junior Past Matron and Patron sign the Bible
The Officers who were installed.
Worshipful Master David Baker and Worthy Patron Brian Coree chatted after the Installation.
And of course the initials OES also stand for Order of the Eating Sisters so there is always something to eat after the meeting.

Here is a link to all the photos..
Eastern Star Installation

I really enjoy Eastern Star. The ritual is beautiful and the activities worthwhile. Last month the Sisters put together cookie plates and delivered them to members who were shut-in's or in nursing homes. Thank-you notes were read and I was thinking that people don't do that sort of thing much anymore but in Eastern Star they do.

I have Installed the officers myself several times and almost have the Installation memorized. One line which I love is this. "No one can truly affirm that another day nor even a single hour will be committed to our care. Therefore if we have been faithful heretofor let us increase our exertions for the future." Good advice.

Tomorrow morning I go to get measured for a new set of shoes.. The appointment is at 8:30 AM which means I shall have to get dressed before noon. What a chore. And it is cold and the car has to sit out because the garage door stopped working yesterday morning. Thank heavens I was outside and not inside so I can at least drive..(If the darn thing starts) They are coming tomorrow afternoon to fix it. And we are supposed to get more snow. Life in Iowa is interesting.
Thanks for stopping by, ARTYAL. Hugs. j

3 comments:

kenju said...

I hope your car started. My garage door opener has been broken for 2 years, but since I don't park in it, it doesn't matter.

My mom and dad were Worthy Matron and Patron of Tiskelwah Chapter in Chas., WV many years ago.

Dee said...

Sorry I missed it. We have been having vehicle issues. Not looking forward to the coming WEATHER.

Dee

Polly and Meek said...

Beautiful women in white!
Sis. Tamika Jackson, AM
Zorah Chapter No. 36 OES PHA
Rockville, MD 20855