Thursday, January 21, 2010

This n' That


In the midst of snow and ice I thought that a reminder of Spring/Summer to come would be helpful.

Things around here have been hectic. I went to Des Moines on Monday and Tuesday to help out in the Scottish Rite office. There was/is a lot to be done and I enjoyed getting out of the house.

While I was there I went to the Gateway Market on Tuesday and purchased some things I should not have purchased - but those Cranberry bogs with chocolate and carmel are really good. And I limit my intake. So there.

Tuesday night I spent an inordinate amount of time doing the annual report for the Red Cross of Constantine. Now I only have two more to do. But at least one is out of the way.

Last night my Internets were down and the phone was also out. I had to do without the computer. Or at least the Internets access. I actually had to finish my book. I read The Kite Runner byKhaled Hosseini. I really enjoyed the book and am probably going to pick up the second novel by this author... A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Then winter came back. With a vengeance. I hate snow and cold but more to the point I hate ice. (And fear it) - So I cancelled my trip to Des Moines and I missed the Scottish Rite Officers meeting and the York Rite Installation but with ice on the road I made the correct decision. I am not going down there today either and if I go out to Lodge tonight and find ice on the parking lot I will turn around and go home. Not taking a chance with ice. If I fell that would be it. I would have no one to take care of me or the kids.

I downloaded Chrome and I really love it now that I am getting used to it. Instead of opening a new window I open a tab and can navigate back and forth between them. Much faster and more convenient. I am using it for this post but will likely go back to Firefox for most posting as I find there are features there which I like..It is much easier to move jpeg's in Firefox. It probably doesn't matter to you but since this has a lot of pictures on it it makes a difference. Browsers are funny animals. I like Safari for some things, I have to use Netscape for my banking and Firefox is best for composing.

It is interesting all of the things going on in our world. We have a horrendous situation in Haiti with massive amounts of help needed (but tour ships are still stopping there on cruises) Our national government is composed of a group of people who seem to think they were elected to pander to the losers. Mr. Obama we elected you to get things done and keep your promises. we seem to think that a 41 -59 minority can stop everything we wanted you to accomplish. Get real! We also do not seem to understand that the things which happened in the past should have been investigated and prosecuted. Now we are reading about murders which were covered up and made to look like suicides. And with all this going on we fuss about the Leno/O'Brian debacle and David Letterman. It seems as if this is an important piece of news that must be covered 24/7. I just don't get it.

Also we just passed 115,000 and coming in close to 116,000 on the Blog counter and as my friend and brother Craig pointed out we have had readers from every continent. Thanks for coming by..

In the meantime I have things I need to do to get ready for tonight and for tomorrow and Saturday. No rest for the wicked....but first I must check my Facebook. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

2 comments:

Anna09 said...

I certainly recommend A Thousand Splendid Suns if you enjoyed The Kite Runner.

motheramelia said...

I fear ice too. Three winters ago I fractured a wrist taking a nasty fall and landing with all my weight on it. No fun at all.