Thursday, February 11, 2010

Salumi

The sign says Graziano Brothers - Italian Foods (Since 1912) - Past Grand High Priest Tom Dean first turned me onto this store on the south side of Des Moines. I love it.This is the place for Salumi (Italian Cured Meats)- Except they don't call it that. But in Seattle they do. One of my former students mentioned that she had her shoes off, feet up, glass of wine+ salumi. I had never heard of salumi - So I googled it and it just so happened that I had a shelf full
So I commented on it. You see the last time I was in there I just had them slice an assortment of the meats and put a 1/4 pound of each and I didn't know what they were but when it was lunch time I took some of the Italian Bread and pulled one off the shelf and made the sandwich.
I finally had eaten all that I had so today since I was helping out at the Consistory and stopped after work and went to the store. I had my camera so you could share the experience with me.
They have a wall of pictures to look at showing the history of the store and the family. I love this type of place.
The garlic is not to keep vampires away (at least I don' think so)
This is the jars of olives and they man who waited on me. I think he thought I was nuts.
This is the bread. I could get the unsliced but I kind of like the sliced. It is also good with butter and jelly on it. Butter it, throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then put the jelly on. I used apricot, pineapple. Yums!
They also have some great cheeses
Decorated tops of the fridge.
These are some of the meats (Salumi) waiting for me.

Checking out.
Then I added a bottle of wine just because I liked the label.
Do you know of a better reason to buy wine?
I had permission to take their pictures and told them they were going on the Blog. The lady on the right was working in the back and she couldn't remember salumi but it finally came to her so she came up front to tell me. (I couldn't remember)

Then it was home to see the "kids" and then off to Lodge. My friend Paul is now a Master Mason and I took this picture after his degree. I am glad he was able to finish up and complete his work.

Thanks for stopping by to my corner of the world. Glad you were here. Hugs, J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real nice Jay! I just used my last package of sausage! I am now craving some coppacolla.........wonderful sliced lunch meat...........

I miss Graziano's so bad!
Tom Dean

Mike said...

Graziano sausage is available in Hy-Vee and Dahls, too. I love the stuff. There used to be a little dive at E. 29th and Euclid that mad the best hot sausage sandwich I ever had. They used Graziano brother's sausage. Mike