Saturday, February 6, 2010

Simon Boccanegra

See Review correction below


There is something fun about saying Simon Boccanegra out loud. It rolls off the tongue and gives me a marvelous feeling. I am also fond of saying Doge. But that has nothing to do with the Opera I saw today.

Live from the Met broadcast Verdi's Simon Boccanegra today and I made the trek to South Ames to sit in a darkened theater and munch popcorn and listen to this beautiful opera.

I wrote some of this on the back of the program at the first intermission:

"Maestro to the pit", summoned James Levine to take his place at the podium of the Metropolitan Orchestra. As he entered the orchestra pit the Orchestra stood and I choked up a little. This ritual just gives me a thrill. With a sweeping gesture he acknowledged the musicians who are the unsung (pun intended) musical heroes of the Opera. The performers get most of the glory but it is the Orchestra working together under the masterful baton of the maestro who carry the day for me. I love listening to them (It is too bad that there are so many rude people who attend who feel it necessary and acceptable to talk during the prologue.. but that is the way of the American theater attendee. They would not do it in an actual performance but many of them just have to make their comments during the performance.) --- back to my notes -- the look on his face is wonderful as he smiles to the audience, turns, raises the baton and begins this marvelous tragic opera.

Placido Domingo in the title role is a tenor and this is a baritone role. He did a masterful job. Aelia Grimaldi was sung by Adrianne Piczonka; Gabriele Adorno by Marcello Giiordan; Jacopo Fiesco by James Morris and Paolo by Nicola Alaimo. ( See Correction below)

It was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and I loved the scenery and the costumes and the interviews and watching backstage under the wonderful hosting of Renée Fleming.

Here is a sample from a December 10 performance.



There will be an encore performance on Wednesday February 24. Coming up will be Hamlet on March 27 and on May 1 Miss Fleming will star in Armida. Toi, toi, toi . .

Review Correction

I received the following today. - I do apologize to Mr Gaertner. I was aware of the cast change at the theater but failed to make note of it in my program. I remember thinking what a wonderful job he did stepping in at the last minute. Again my apologies. I look forward to seeing and hearing you again.

Dear Mr. Simser,
I recently read your review of the Metropolitan Opera HD presentation of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra. You had mentioned that Nicola Alaimo had sung the role of Paolo, but in fact the role was sung by Stephen Gaertnerr

And for those interested Steven is on Facebook. I just sent him a friend request.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

we saw the same production !!
We enjoyed it a lot too; toitoitoi is a new one for me.