Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Toad Tales

I grew up in an Antique Shop.  Actually my grandmother was a collector and eventually had so much that she needed to sell some things. One of the things which she did not sell was this small figurine.  I am not certain where she got it but I think that it was found in some persons trash.  I think that my Aunt Ellen found it but I could be wrong.  Aunt Jo might remember.  Maybe she will remember and will tell me about it.  

It is one of my treasures.  I have loved it since I was a boy. It was not for sale.  You can see the detail on the flowers. I love the way the child sits on a rock with a basket of posies.  



 It sits on my sister's Marble top table with a piece of velvet  and a glass dome. I have loved it since I was a small and it is one of the things which anchors me to my family.
The glass lamp also is there so you can see the size better.  The lamp is also one of my "anchors"  My grandmother had it in her home and when she passed on my grandfather was going to sell it.  Some lady was had actually taken it to her home and my grandfather told his daughter that he was sorry that he had let it go.  The lady who was buying it was one of these beautiful people who allowed them to give it back to him and it has been in my home since then.  It is electrified and both globes light and I love it when it is lighted on.  I don't do much with it because I am always afraid that something will happen to it. I think that it should go to the Ames Historical Society when I "shoot off."




No comments: