Sunday, November 11, 2018

Aparian

"Were I to be the founder of a new sect,
I would call them Apiarians, and, after the example of the bee,
advise them to extract the honey of every sect."  

- Thomas Jefferson

The Christian faith is always a journey into the truth of God.
None of us will ever arrive at our destination
and those who think that they have arrived or who pretend
to have arrived immediately become idolaters.
The truth is that all of us will be forever pilgrims.  
John Selby Spong


"I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid.
I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative.
I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle
that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it."
– John Stuart Mill


To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.  
George MacDonald


There is no great invention, from fire to flying,
which has not been hailed as an insult to some god.
-J.B.S. Haldane, scientist


"A garment that is double dyed, dipped again and again,
will retain the color a great while;
so a truth which is the subject of meditation."
~Matthew Henry


"Leroy bet me I couldn't find a pot of gold at the end,
and I told him that was a stupid bet because
the rainbow was enough."
~Rita Mae Brown (b.1944)


"Mercy is the golden chain by which society is bound together."
~William Blake (1757-1827)


"I hold that popularization of science is successful if, at first,
it does no more than spark the sense of wonder."
~Carl Sagan (1934-1996)


"The experience of love and the experience of death
destroy the illusion of our self-sufficiency.
The two are closely connected,
and to become fully human we must experience both of them."
~David Steindl-Rast (b.1926)


No comments: