Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Puccini and Popcorn

Turandot by Giacomo Puccini had an encore presentation at the theater tonight. I was not able to go to the November 7th because I was attending St. Ignatius Conclave so I went tonight.

I was familiar with the music (lush and lovely) but not the story - I had never paid attention - and to see it on the big screen was amazing. Franco Zeffirelli's sets were marvelous and the costumes were gorgeous.

I was not impressed with the story but I loved the music and the singing. Torandot was sung by Maria Guleghina, Liu by Marina Poplavskaya, Calaf was sung by Marcello Giordani and Samuel Ramey was Timur.

One of the features I like about the Met in HD is the interviews they do with the artists. The conductor was Andris Nelsons and much was made about his age. Some of the orchestra members have been playing in the Met Orchestra since before he was born. There were also interviews with the Properties manager who discussed some of the properties he has to deal with including the severed head of one of the Princes who could not answer Turandot's questions. (You answer her questions or you get beheaded) -

Here is the final scene


In other news I had lunch with Carole H. today. We were going to do this last week but I came down with a cold so we postponed. We had a very nice time.

It was nice to have a day where I could just enjoy myself. Tomorrow night I go to the Scottish Rite in Des Moines for the KCCH (Knight Commander Court of Honour) Investiture. I am honored and humbled that I was elected to receive this honor. I am excited.

You will also notice that there is a new feature on the left side. "Where in the World is Bob? - Just click on the picture to be taken to his blog to see where he is now. Actually he has already left this spot but his wife called me while I was at the Opera and left me a message on my answering machine. He did not upload anything today because of problems.

Thanks for stopping by. Just Always Remember That You Are Loved. Hugs. j

2 comments:

Nessa said...

Spectacular production.

Thursday Thirteen - My Drive to Work

Ur-spo said...

We are enjoying the Met performance is very much.
it is great to see close-up drama. however, sitting in a movie theater makes people around us " act like they are in the movie" viz they talk and answer the phone and munch - things that would never occur in a live opera house.