Monday, November 2, 2009

The Rest of the Story

So here are a couple of pictures of the damage.

Years ago I used to go dancing. You know it had to be years ago because it was disco. I used to love swing and boogie and rock and roll and yes, I was not necessarily a good dancer but I had fun. When certain music plays I start to twitch (anybody else do that?) and Saturday night we had a big band at the Gala. (High Society is good you can go to their Website here for a sample.) The thing is I have not been dancing for ages. And about five years ago I had a condition which is diabetic related which caused me to have an ankle fusion operation and I changed my name to Ileane since I now have this shoe to contend with. It does not help with dancing. Especially swing dancing.
Hell, I can't even walk across the back yard with all its bumps and holes without a stick to help keep my balance. It also does not help that this particular shoe is a little over a year old (Medicare will only buy one pair a year and yes, I know it is time but I am busy) and it is not really tight. It wobbles a little on even straight hard surfaces and while I have not fallen for awhile on Saturday night at the Gala I tempted the Gods.

People who like to dance know what I mean by "twitching" - And yes I know it probably looks ridiculous to see an old fat man dancing with a really nice young gal who knows how to dance and can even follow an old ________(you fill in the blank) like me. So we ventured out on the dance floor and the next think I knew I was about 30 years younger and dancing again. I loved it. Until I really ended up on the dance floor. Now the main reason I fell was probably the shoe but it did not help that I had some lovely Scotch and a bit of Templeton Rye... But I will always maintain that it was the shoe that did it, That and my exuberance. (Gee, I spelled that correctly) -
I scared the Bejeesus (and you can't spell that correctly because it is not a word.) out of my table mates. It did not help that there had been a medical emergency at the next table and there I was sprawled on the floor. I was worried about by glasses but they stayed on. I believe my hat went flying. Anyway I also have these KNEES which do not work like they are supposed to so I knew I was going to have to have help getting up. (Did I ever tell you about the time I fell on the ice at the end of my driveway and had to crawl in the house --- all the way up the driveway and then up the stairs to the kitchen to get a chair to pull myself up) The thing is I hate to have people treat me like I was old. I much prefer not to be reminded. I know that they are being helpful but it bugs me.

Well anyway they got me up and I went back to the table and continued to enjoy myself. No broken bones and still cognizant. I have fallen before (lots of times since I got this shoe) so I probably have some sense of how to do it.

I did get a chance to redeem myself a little. New York, New York came on and I got to "twitching" again and even though she was afraid to dance with me we got up and tried again. This time I was not quite so exuberant and we got through the dance and I loved it. I so miss not being able to go out dancing.

Sometimes when I fall I feel worse the second day than I did the first and that was the case today. I have a sore shoulder and discovered the bruises in the pictures above.. And that is the "rest of the story" -

I am also tired from the change over to regular time. Even though the clocks got set back my internal clock did not so I now wake up an hour earlier... Actually it is the same time it just says it is an hour earlier. So today I accomplished nothing... not a thing. I went back to bed this afternoon and slept for a couple of hours. Hopefully my "clock" will be adjusted soon and things will get back to normal. In the meantime I am looking for places to go dancing.... As soon as I get a new shoe. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL, Hugs. j

5 comments:

Nessa said...

You had so much fun, it hurt, but good for you. Sounds like you had a great time.

Tuesday's Tales #1 - John

MadPriest said...

Old Masons never die - they just keep twitching.

You have the right attitude, my friend. "Do not go gentle into that good night!" and all that.

Kevin Smith said...

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt too much. It got around pretty quickly that you had fallen and there was a lot of concern for you that you probably didn't hear about.

Remember what they say... Dance like no one is looking! Glad you had fun, so did I. The gala was great, and I have told Shane he and "his crew" did a fabulous job.

Jason saw your pictures and was suitably jealous! The only good thing he could say about the High Priest's reception was that he and Denise got home by 8:15 that night.

Stay well!
Kevin Smith

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I hope your bruises and aches are fading by now. And I echo what Kevin said about "Dance like no one is looking."

MadPriest said...

A long time ago, when I was in my early thirties, I ran a youth disco at church. One evening I was getting down to some piece of electronic nonsense when a young lad came up to me.

"You know," he said in all seriousness. "You dance like an old person."

I've not danced in front of anyone under 25 since.