Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hachi: A Dog's Tale

 This movie has been sitting on my machine for a couple of weeks.  I have a habit of looking through the guide and recording some movies that I think I might like to watch and when there are re-runs I can watch something.  I figure it is cheaper than Netflix and I don't have to hurry to watch it and get it back.  I was a little nervous about this movie but I do like Richard Gere and since he was in it I took a chance and taped it.

It wasn't the first choice this morning but the other movie lasted about 5 minutes and I deleted it.... I was afraid something would happen to the dog in the end of the story but I decided to watch it anyway.

I went through about 1/2 a box of Kleenex.

As I was watching this story of  love between a man and his dog the tears just started flowing.  It was  heartwarming.

In the beginning a little boy is telling the story of his grandfather's dog.  He tells how the dog was lost from the train it was on and how he connected with the college professor grandfather.  He was taken home and eventually grew up.  He started following the professor to the train station to see him off and would meet the train at night. You can guess what happens.  One day the professor dies while teaching.  The dog continues to come to meet him - for nine years.  And the thing is it is a true story. It happened in Japan and Hachi is pictured on the right.  The Japanese people erected a bronze statue to him. Each year on April 8, Hachikō's devotion is honored with a solemn ceremony of remembrance at Tokyo's Shibuya railroad station. Hundreds of dog lovers often turn out to honor his memory and loyalty

You can read about the movie here.

You can read the story of the real dog here.

I tear up just thinking of this animal's loyalty and wondering how he could wait for 9 years for his master/friend to return. I guess that makes me what Madpriest would call Soppy.  So be it.  Thanks for stopping by.  If you have a dog give them an extra treat and a scratch behind the ears.  Pardon me while I go find Bailey.

No comments: