Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lunch with Ginny

Ginny and I had lunch at Cafe Milo on Monday.  I was very good and had a cup of soup and only ate 1/2 of my sandwich.  We met at 1:15 because she is volunteering at the Butterfly exhibit at Reiman Gardens at Iowa State University,  She shared some news that she is going to be working at a job soon.  The Serenity Spa. This is sort of a trial to see how she will be able to handle working.  It has been a long time for her since her accident put her in a wheel chair.  She went back to school, earned a degree and now through Voc Rehab she is getting a chance to return to the work force.  She would not have had this chance if not for the programs in place to help people who have been beaten down.

I guess that is the biggest thing that bothers me about the Republicans.  They do not seem to have any empathy for the people like my sister.  (Empathy is the capacity to recognize and, to some extent, share feelings (such as sadness or happiness) that are being experienced by another sapient or semi-sapient being. Someone may need to have a certain amount of empathy before they are able to feel compassion.Wipedia)


I have watched a lot of clips and the thing that strikes me about Romney, Santorium, Cantor, et. al is that someone will tell them their story or ask them a question and they will stand there with a frozen look on their face and then walk away. I just cannot trust someone who does not engage with those who are hurting, those who have been dealt a bad hand and who are just asking for some help and understanding.  If they cannot have compassion and empathy they are not going to help those who need our help.  And as for Mr. Romney and the way he treated his dog shows the type of person he is. 


They sort of act like "I've got mine and I am not sharing."  But I have digressed.  I am proud that there was (is) a program in place in my country to help people like Ginny get going again and be able to live a contributing worthwhile life. And I am proud of Ginny for not giving up and for trying to continue to grow in all that she does.  

1 comment:

Anna said...

Voc Rehab is helping me pay for college. I appreciate the program as well.