Thursday, January 5, 2012

This 'n That

Another gratuitous picture that someone sent me that I want to share.
I had lunch on Wednesday with a former student.  He would have been in my class 30 -35 years ago.  We reconnected via Facebook.

We met at the Flame 'n Skewer up at the Mall and were there eating and talking for two hours.  I don't know about Matt but I had a great time.  A wide ranging conversation about things that were happening today.  Neither of us spoke much about the days he was in my class.  I suppose because I was interested in what had happened to him since then.  He served our country in both the Navy and the Army and now lives in a small town north of here.  One thing I kept seeing the little kid who was in my class.  It is amazing how I can still see them (former students) as sixth grade students.  That is visually.  I can relate to them as adults.

I watched a wonderful 1991 movie the other night called The Story Lady.  It starred Jessica Tandy and was delightful.  I had tears in my eyes several times.  An elderly lady comes to the city to live with her daughter who tries to find something for her to do.  She discovers public access television and sets up her own show where she reads children's books.  She soon has a following and well you get the idea.  The thing is I want to mention is Jessica Tandy.  Tandy died in 1994 and is probably more well known for the Driving Miss Daisy film she made with Morgan Freeman,  Together with husband Hume Cronyn Jessica Tandy entertained and enriched my life and I am very grateful for having been able to see both of them because of movies and TV. They were both in Cocoon (which I enjoyed) and Cocoon2 (which I did not see.)

It was fun and heartwarming to see the film.

It was so pleasant to be reminded of them.

I finished the book, The Devil's Elixir (Click through to read a review) by Raymond Khoury.  I enjoyed the book.  I had read another book by this author and now after getting this one I discover that I had read yet another and there are still more.  Anytime I can find an author that I like, who writes a book that will hold my interest I am happy.

Currently I am reading The Defector which I am also enjoying.  We have a new book store in town Books-A-Million (What a stupid name) and I don't enjoy it as much as Borders I am finding that they have hard back books on sale for $6.97 or Buy two get one free, so it was easy to stock up on books.  I used to go the public library but I got tired of the smoke smell on so many books.  Now I just get them and when I am finished with them I take them over to the Eastern Star Board Meetings and the other Board members take them and when they are done then bring them back to the Home for the residents.  Hopefully there will be a lot of people who will enjoy them.

Speaking of The Defector,  there was one sentence in it that I just loved.."Color?"
"Black, of course. I assumed it was Viktor's A man like Viktor Orlov would only ride in a black car."

As regular readers of this blog will know I recently purchased a 2008 Denali Envoy. It is black. I feel very much like Viktor Orlov....driving around in my black car (especially at night) makes me feel very special and a little sinister.

I am so very grateful for today.  I have enjoyed watching TV tonight.  There were NO political ads for the Republican'ts running on the programs.  Now there are just the obscenely annoying Channex (or however you spell it) commercials that I have to mute....I can't grab the remote fast enough.. The Progressive Insurance commercials must have been running long enough that I can blot them out of my consciousness.  Anyway the politicians are gone and things have returned to normal.  I take some comfort in the fact that of all the three top candidates 75% of those voting were for someone else. It is going to be a long year and next fall I will be doing a lot of reading.... Happy Thursday everyone,  The week-end commeth.   Hugs,

No comments: