Saturday, January 21, 2012

R.I.P Dorothy Barton

Readers of this blog know that I serve on the Eastern Star Masonic Home Board.  One of the main reasons I ran for the Home Board was so that could hang out with Dorothy Barton.  Dorothy and I met through the Order of the Eastern Star.  Her daughter Jean is a District Instructor and always gives me a hard time when she instructs.  If she didn't I would think she was mad at me.


Dorothy was a good friend of my mother also. It is strange that my mother died on January 16 and now January 17 was the day that Dorothy passed.  Two great women, both of whom loved Eastern Star and were past matrons and secretary.  Dorothy put in many more years of service than Mom.. in fact more than anyone I knew. She was an officer before I was born (and I am now 70) and had continuous service since she joined.  A remarkable record.  The following is from the Obituary that was published in the Des Moines Register.

Dorothy was born the daughter of Ralph Fletcher and Sylvia Lavina (Ringgenberg) Williams on August 19, 1918 at rural Polk City, Iowa. She was a graduate of the American Institute of Business in Des Moines. On September 14, 1946, Dorothy was united in marriage to Duane Edward Barton and they made their home in Polk City. 

She was formerly employed as a clerical worker with F.W. Fitch Company, Ahern-Pershing, and the Iowa State Fair. 


Dorothy was a member of Sheldahl United Methodist Church and the Polk City Chapter Order of Eastern Star for 73 years, of which she was an officer for 72 years and secretary for 64 years. Dorothy had served on the Board at the Eastern Star Masonic Home in Boone for five years, where she had resided since 2009.


I think Dorothy enjoyed her time living at the Home. Her family came to see her often and she was well taken care of while she was there.  
This is from Proverbs and it fits for Dorothy as it fit my grandmother when I first heard it at her funeral in 1959:



10Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
...
20She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
...
25Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
31Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Rest in peace my Sister and my friend, I shall miss you.

No comments: