Monday, February 13, 2012

Moral Outrage

I watched the affable Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan on CBS this morning as he spoke of the President and the rule which would require birth control for women.  In its war on women the Catholic church has banned them from contraception (except the rhythm method which is out of sync with good sense) and from serving as priests.  It tries to control every aspect of their lives and when you make the argument that a majority of Catholic women use birth control they rely on the old argument that the Church is not a democracy.  No the church has been like the fly trapped in amber....It looks beautiful but it cannot change and when you look closely you see the ugliness.  Pedophilia is rampant and has been covered up for years by those in authority in the church.  Even the Pope is under inditement in the International World Court for "Crimes against humanity.

When interviewed on CBS, Dolan seemed like a "nice guy" - He was in a friendly mood and the atmosphere was respectful and it was what I would call a "soft" interview.   However when I thought about it I was outraged.  In doing some exploration I also found this statement by the Archbishop

“No government has the right to intrude into the affairs of the Church, much less coerce the Church faithful individuals to engage in or cooperate in any way with immoral practices,” wrote Dolan, who is president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. 
I really don't know why not, the Church (and not just the Catholic Church) seem to have no trouble intruding into the life of the nation.  Any member of a church can participate in our democracy but when someone such as the Archbishop speaks from the pulpit or writes pastoral letters or sends out CD's they are trying to show their "moral outrage" and influence their parishioners.  I tend to agree with the following which I found on another blog this morning.
"I voted for President Obama, I didn't vote for the Pope.  The Catholic bishops are entitled to their opinion, but that's all it is.  An opinion.  And its their opinion, not the opinion of Catholics in America.
And I'll say it again.  I don't want a bunch of guys who excuse and enable pedophilia lecturing the rest of us about morality.  No moral credibility whatsoever."    John Aravosis on AmericaBlog
I am with John on this.  My moral outrage at the hypocrisy is palpable and when I read about the thousands of children who were molested or hear the way the native American children were treated in the Catholic Schools where they were placed after being forcibly removed from their homes or hear of Cardinal Egan  who withdrew his apology of 2002 for the sex-abuse scandal I guess my "moral outrage" gets stirred up.  And I won't apologize for it. In my opinion these child molesters should all be locked up somewhere where they will never be able to see another child let alone molest them.

Addendum.  You might like to read Rev. Chuck Currie's Open Letter to Archbishop Dolan


Addndum #2  -  American's United also weighed in on this.  Read it here.

Addendum # 3 - It just keeps getting worse.  Priest tells boy "This is what God's Love feels like."  as he is raping him.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

I am curious to see who 'wins this'. Society or The Catholic Church.