Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday This N' That

Perkins Redeaux -
   The other day I wrote about my experience at Perkins Restaurant.  My experience tonight was entirely different.  I was seated at the same table but I had been seated less than a minute when the waitress came over to take my drink order.  Since I knew what I wanted she took my order.  A Belgian Waffle with no strawberries etc., two eggs over easy and crisp bacon.  Water to drink.   Almost immediately the water was delivered and the meal followed in a short time.  The waitstaff was mostly different so they did not remember me from the previous visit.  The food was prepared perfectly.  All of it was hot and the bacon WAS crisp.  I couldn't be happier with the food and the service.

When I went out to pay a young man came out front and told the cashier that he had the baking all set to go and he could help her.  He offered to take my money.  He asked me about my experience and I told him it was wonderful and then I mentioned the previous visit.  He mentioned that he had heard about it.  I asked if the young man who messed up waiting on me had been fired (I was worried about it.) and he had not.  However I was told that he had been given a long "talking to" by the manager.  We had a pleasant conversation and I left the restaurant with a really good feeling about the place and no time wasted.

HOME BOARD

Today was our Eastern Star Home Board Meeting.  We had an in-service in the morning, a delicious meal at noon and a productive meeting in the afternoon.  The Home Board is one of the things I enjoy the most. I have served one five year term and am two fifths of the way through the last term.  We can only serve two terms.  I shall miss it.  The group of Sisters and Brothers that serve on the Board are volunteers.  Today's In-service was about Corporate Compliance.  A fascinating set of rules in place to protect the Home and the patients who live there from fraud, etc.

Other Work
  I am in the process of getting some letters out for two groups that I belong to. I would have done them today but I had to get envelopes and labels and of course, stamps so I will get them ready to mail tomorrow.  I just hope I won't put the wrong letters in the right envelops.

Lent
Today (Wednesday) is Ash Wednesday and there has been some chatter about what people were going to give up for Lent. One friend has given up Facebook.  I have jokingly said that I was giving up Lent for Lent.  I never have "done" Lent and never intend to do so.  To me it is a made up observance which the RC Church used to exert its dominance over its members.  If someone wants to observe Lent, fine - let them do it.  I would just prefer that they did not feel the need to announce it to the world on places such as Facebook.  Keep it to yourself please, are you doing it to make yourself feel better than those who do not observe it or are you announcing it to make sure everybody will help you keep their resolution.  To each his own.

Speaking of Church related things I do not (and never will) understand why some Christian Churches insist on having people confess that they are "miserable sinners" and fall short of what God wants them to be.  For many years I belonged to the Christian Science Church.  In that Church we were encouraged to see ourselves as reflections of God, Spirit.  Because God (Spirit) is good and is Spiritual - man made in His likeness is good and spiritual also.

Mary Baker Eddy says:

” The discoverer of Christian Science finds the path less difficult when she has the high goal always before her thoughts, than when she counts her footsteps in endeavoring to reach it. When the destination is desirable, expectation speeds our progress. The struggle for Truth makes one strong instead of weak, resting instead of wearying one.”
So instead of seeing ourselves as bad and not worthy we should look at ourselves as God's children.  Not necessarily perfect but working towards it and having the high goal before our thoughts.  That is what I try to do.  And as to having someone come to my door and want to discuss religion with me I have now put up a sign which says "No Solicitation - particularly of a religious nature."

Girl Scouts -
Some asshat from Indiana says that the Girl Scouts are a  “radicalized organization” that promotes “homosexual lifestyles” and funds Planned Parenthood. You can read about it here.  When I found that out I got in touch with my supplier and ordered 6 more boxes of Girl Scout Cookies.  I much prefer to support a group that does not discriminate (Boy Scouts) and recognize the diversity of human life.  As for the Republisucm who is mentioned in the article, well I can only hope that he will fall down a deep dark pit where he can wallow around in all the "junk" he has been spouting (in other words I hope it bites him in the ass.) 


Late Night with David Letterman


I really like David Letterman.  His self depreciating humor and the idea that he goes after Mitt for the Dog on the Roof makes him someone I will watch.  I do not get tired of his show.  Oh yeah, sometimes he drives me to drink.  I don't like it when he gets some sports guy on there and spends hours discussing sports with him but because some people do I just mute that part.  


Bailey
   Bailey is not doing well right now.  He is sleeping most of the time.  I have to hold him while he eats.  He does eat well when I heat his food and hold him in my lap while he eats. But I can do that.  I looked all over the house for him and found him curled up behind the sofa next to the hot water heat. Guess he wants to stay out of Miles' way.  Miles is over for a visit until Sunday.


Thanks for stopping by, Hugs,

2 comments:

Dianne said...

so much to comment on :)

first of all - I'm sorry Bailey isn't doing well, it sucks getting old and it's worse watching those we love get old
It's great that he's eating and appears comfortable
you're a good human

I don't like the Perkins here and only go with Hope, she loves it
if we're pulling into a different parking lot she asks for Perkins

I adore David except I could do without some of his mean spirited jokes about fat people and about Rosie O in particular
much like I can do without Craig's crap about Khloe Kardashian, he picks the large sister to pick on yet she's the "normal" one

wow! that was a lot!!
see what you started

extra hugs to Bailey

Ur-spo said...

Whenever I have an appliance break down, I read it "The Scientific Statement of Being".