Monday, February 20, 2012

Private - # 1 Suspect / this n' that

Now that I finished all the Chris K books that I had on hand I had to find something else to read and this was it.  #1 Suspect is a pretty good read.  It kept my interest and didn't take long to read.  You can read some reviews of it here.

I am going to write about a recent experience at Perkins.  I decided that I had enjoyed the waffle I had there when I had lunch with Wayne and I thought I would go have another one. I went in around 6:40 and was seated.  I sat there for quite awhile. I had the book with me so I read while I waited.  Pretty soon I noticed that I was being ignored.  When I am hungry I can get wrathy but this time I was calm and cool.  I got my cell phone out and was checking to see if there was a timer on it so that I could time how long I had to wait. The manager came over and asked me if I had been waited on.  He could see that my menu was still on the table.

I told him that No I had not been and was in fact, just about to start timing.  It was almost 7:00 pm.  He said that he had been watching and noticed me, he remembered me when I came in and he would send someone over to take my order.  I told him I knew what I wanted.

So the young man was told what I wanted.  The waffle with eggs and bacon with the eggs over easy and the bacon crisp.  And I did not want the strawberries in syrup and whipped cream (grease) on it.  The order was put in and I waited.  In the meantime I got some coffee.  While I waited I read some more.

Pretty soon a woman came out of the kitchen with a plate and headed towards me.  I could see the strawberries and whipped grease.  The young waiter also saw it and caught her before she got to me and sent her back to the kitchen.  So I waited some more and read some more.  Eventually she came back out and brought me my meal.  She said something about having put a rush on it.  I told her I had seen her come out with the wrong waffle and had to go back.  I suggested that I hoped the eggs weren't cold.  She assured me that they had re-done the entire order and went back to the kitchen.

I put the eggs on the waffle and started to eat.  They were cold. About that time the manager came over and asked me about it so we had a conversation.  I told him that at first I had thought the waffle was cold but then decided it was the eggs.

The waiter came over twice to apologize.  The person who served had lied to me or was under the impression that the order had been re-done were all at fault and I am certain that the manager was going to have a conversation with them.  And he would not let me pay for my dinner.  I will go back and I do imagine that I will be taken very good care of the next time I go in.  You know a waffle sounds pretty good..

 My friend John sent along some pictures of a new addition to his family.  Igor.  He is a Cardigan Corgi and his color is brindle.

John drove 1200 miles to Arkansas and back to pick him up.  He is the 4th Corgi at John's house.  The other three are Pembroke Corgi.  Both breeds are herding dogs that originated in Wales.
Wikipedia tells us that:
"Welsh folklore says the corgi is the preferred mount of fairy warriors. There is also a folk legend that says corgis were a gift from the woodland fairies, and that the breed's markings were left on its coat by fairy harnesses and saddles."


Read more about them here.
Another Corgi enthusiast is her majesty.  She has several and she feeds them herself.  She recently became angered when she discovered that the food for the dogs was frozen and not prepared fresh each day according to her orders.  Read that story here.
The Queen's Corgis are all descended from one dog, Susan, given to her on her 18th birthday.  She has decided not to breed them any more - a sign that she recognizes that she is getting older and won't always be around to care for them  Read that article here.

Thanks for stopping by. Hugs,

1 comment:

John said...

One of my favorite stories about Her Majesty's Corgwyn (the Welsh plural) concerns the time she forgot how strong-willed they can be. There was an altercation between a couple of the Pembrokes. She tried to break it up. One of them hauled off and bit he--in essence telling her to mind her own business, Queen or not.

Igor is the tenth Corgi I've lived with over the years, all but one of them rescues. He is the second Cardigan, the rarer of the two very distinct breeds. He seems to be a spectacular dog. Although he was a stray when he came to the shelter, I have no question he's 100% Cardigan, even if not anywhere near "show dog" standards.

Thanks for writing about him!!