Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Valentine Tradition

Just in case you've never seen it.
A Valentine (1860)
I found and old, old, valentine
of my mother’s yesterday;
An age-stained, lacy, lovely thing
That she had put away
Between the covers of a book,
And as I touched it there,
I saw her young and beautiful
The sunlight on her hair,
The love-light in her dark, young eyes
That years could not destroy,
And through the paper lace there walked
My father as a boy.

Somewhere along the heavenly lanes
Today, their eyes ashine,
I think he asks her once again
To be his Valentine.

Grace Noll Crowel

It is a tradition to post this poem.  It always made my mother cry to have me read it.  It really describes what we both think is the love her parents had for one another.  Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

it is a beautiful poem
I know you have fond, warm memories of your Mom and that is a treasure

me and Hope send lots of hugs

Dianne said...

so as I was catching up I realized I missed your Blog Anniversary

shameful of me

Happy Blogging

you are a dear friend and I'm so glad we met here on these internet tubes

Ur-spo said...

Happy Heart Day to you too deario !