Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Salute XLVIII


I first saw Maggie Smith as Miss Jean Brodie in the movie "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"  - I fell in love with her immediately and still love her as the Dowager Countess on Downton Abby - She makes me happy that she has shared her enormous talent with us.
Dame Margaret Natalie "Maggie" SmithDBE, (born 28 December 1934) is an English film, stage and television actress. She has had an extensive career both on screen and in live theatre, and is known as one of Britain's preeminent actors. She made her stage debut in 1952 and is still performing after 60 years. She has won numerous awards for acting, both for the stage and for film, including seven BAFTA Awards(five competitive awards and two special awards including the BAFTA Fellowship in 1996), two Academy Awards, three Golden Globes, three Emmy Awards and a Tony Award.
A Breast Cancer survivor she has also been involved in charity work. In September 2011, she offered her support for raising the $4.6 million needed to rebuild the Court Theatre in New Zealand after the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake. In July 2012, she became a patron of the International Glaucoma Association, hoping to support the organisation and raise the profile of glaucoma.  On the 27th November 2012, Smith contributed a unique piece of art – a drawing of her own hand – to the 2012 Celebrity Paw Auction, in order to raise funds for Cats Protection.
Source Wikipedia
Quotes from Maggie
People say it gets better but it doesn't. It just gets different, that's all.

I longed to be bright and most certainly never was. I was rather hopeless, I suspect.

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.

I tend to head for what's amusing because a lot of things aren't happy. But usually you can find a funny side to practically anything.

I believe that I am past my prime. I had reckoned on my prime lasting till I was at least fifty.

I had been feeling a little rum. I didn't think it was anything serious because years ago I felt a lump and it was benign. I assumed this would be too. It kind of takes the wind out of your sails, and I don't know what the future holds, if anything.

I know there is something out there and like most people, I tend to believe in it more when things go bad.

I like being outside and working with the elements. The elemental aspects of it. The physicality of it.

I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone.  
 
It's true I don't tolerate fools but then they don't tolerate me, so I am spiky. Maybe that's why I'm quite good at playing spiky elderly ladies.

My career is chequered. Then I think I got pigeon-holed in humour; Shakespeare is not my thing.  

The performances you have in your head are always much better than the performances on stage. 

There is a kind of invisible thread between the actor and the audience, and when it's there it's stunning, and there is nothing to match that.

Lady Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Quotes

Violet, to Robert in his black tie: "Do you think I might have a drink? Oh, I'm so sorry – I thought you were a waiter."

Violet, on Sir Anthony at the altar: "He looks as if he's waiting for a beating from the headmaster."

Tom: "They turned everyone out of the castle. Lord and Lady Dromgoole, their sons and all the servants. And then they set fire to it."
Edith: "What a tragedy."
Violet: "Well, rather yes and no – that house was hideous. Of course, that is no excuse."
 Cora: "I think Granny's right."
Violet: "Can somebody write that down?"
 Violet: "Robert, people like us are never unhappily married."
Robert: "What do we do if we are?"
Violet: "Well, in those moments, a couple is 'unable to see as much of each other as they would like.'"

Isobel: "I think Cousin Robert is referring to Ethel's work as a prostitute."

Violet: ". . . Well, of course these days servants are very hard to find."


Isobel: "I think Cousin Robert is referring to Ethel's work as a prostitute."
Violet: ". . . Well, of course these days servants are very hard to find."





Bishop Desmond Tutu             
Betty White       


No comments: