Saturday, May 25, 2013

Something Yummy for Saturday

My father's aunt Erma Simser lived in Pasadena California.  The only time I ever rode in a helicopter was once when I was visiting my Aunt Ellen who lived in Santa Monica and went over to see her. It was exciting.  It was also fun to go out to eat with my great aunt and her friends and have them all order cocktails at lunchtime.  Most of the time there was no drinking in the house where I grew up and never by any of my older relatives. So to see a Manhattan and a Rob roy ordered by these elegant ladies was different.  Erma came through Ames many times on the train and stopped to see us and take us out to dinner. She always wore a hat. She was a retired librarian and became a world traveler after retiring.  Ginny wrote about her in the cookbook. In many ways she was responsible for me becoming Master of my Lodge.  I would write to her (carefully - see Ginny's note) and tell her of what I was doing in the York Rite and the Eastern Star. (She was a Fifty Year member of OES.) and one time she wrote back "What are you doing for your Blue Lodge?"  I went and asked to start through the line because of her question. 

“Erma Simser was Jay's great-aunt. She used to mail the letters he wrote her back with the mistakes he made corrected in red. Her reasoning was that she didn't care if anyone else's writing was perfect; she wanted his to be. What I remember most about Erma was that whenever she traveled, she always mailed mom, Jay and I gifts. I have worn a silver bracelet she sent me ever since she got it in Africa. She must have traveled there prior to 1964 since I know I received it when we still lived "the second house north of the Casey Motel on old highway 69.” Ginny
1   can           Cream of mushroom soup
¾  cup          Milk
½  cup          Mayonnaise
2   7 oz cans   Tuna, drained
1   pkg          Frozen peas, thawed
2   cups         Celery, sliced
2                  Hard cooked eggs
½    cup   Black olives, sliced
2     tsp   Oregano
1     cup   Corn puff cereal
1     tsp   Salt
1/3  cup   Parmesan cheese, grated lemon peel
2     tsp   Dried parsley
Procedure
1   1.In large bowl, mix soup, milk, and mayonnaise.
2   2. Break up tuna.
3   3. Fold into soup mixture with peas, celery, eggs, olives, and oregano.
4   4. Place in 2 quart greased baking dish.
5   5. Mix cereal, butter ,salt, and cheesed in small bowl.
6   6. Place on top of mixture.
7   7. Bake: 350° until cheese on top is melted.
8   8. Sprinkle with parsley.
Oven Temperature: 350°F
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Author: Erma Simser

Source: Jay Cole Simser

Mom worked at Doane Agricultural Service and also took care of my grandfather and sister.  She appreciated easy things to fix after working all day. The following almost became a staple at our house and I still like it. Perhaps I shall fix it again someday.

"This recipe was something mom could fix after a long day at work. In the days before microwaves and not very many frozen meals; this was not always easy." Ginny
1  can   Cream of mushroom soup
1  can   Tuna fish, drained
½  cup    Milk
1   pkg.  Chow mein noodles,
Procedure
1   In a saucepan cook, soup, milk, and tuna fish.
2   Serve over the noodles.

Source: Ginny Jackson

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

there is nothing so comforting as a midwest matron's tuna casserole
Marvelous !