Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cultural Calendar and Musings

I took the plunge and ordered a ticket to see Harry Connick, Jr. at Stephen's in April. I will be in the second row. Very close so I should be able to hear things. I used to go to a lot of the events but got so busy that I wasn't able to go. I have decided that life is too short and I should do more. I have both of his two new albums and love his music.

I am also trying to get out of the house more. I went to the Scottish Rite Annual Meeting tonight and it was enjoyable. I enjoy these guys even if the meeting themselves are fairly predictable. They shared plans with us and it is exciting to see them using strategic planning to rejuvenate the Rite.

I had a long talk with a Brother today who was interested in the meaning and derivation of the word "cowan" which we use in Masonry. He could not find it in a dictionary. I did find it in my Masonic Encyclopedia and it was fun to be able to find it. It is strictly a Masonic word which means "intruder" Now you know something most Masons don't know.

I have wondered about our use of the word "compass" as in Square and Compass. To me a Compass is an instrument which points to the North. In the new Northern Light they call it (or them) "compasses" which is also what they refer to in the Eastern Star when they say that the badge of the Worthy Patron is the "Square and Compasses within the Star." I would be interested in learning more about the word and how it was changed.

3 comments:

Taner said...

Oh! you will like this web page that talks about the origins of "compass"!
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20010124

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Thanks, I appreciate the reference. Do I know you? I have a Lodge Brother named Taner.

Taner said...

Yep, that's the one!