Friday, February 16, 2007

Friday

It is snowing again. I am ready for SPRING! - I spent today getting the mailing for the York Rite Pancake Day ready to go. will mail them tomorrow morning. It was fun to try to stamp envelopes, stuff them with letters, return envelopes and tickets with the dog and cat on my lap. Job is done now and while I was doing it I realized that there is no mail service on Monday so people won't get them until after Tuesday. About 450 of them went out. Speaking of going out, the dog wants to go out and I need to move around. I was going to write something intersting but I guess you will have to put up with this. I will share another of my poems. I was watching Judging Amy one day and they were cleaning out a closet so I was inspired to write this poem.

My Closet
In the rear of my closet
live
memories of former lives.
Boxed away in crusty cardboard compartments
Waiting for me to re-find them - the
dreams, desires, decorations of my life.

Pulling them out
one by one,
I relive the events, emotions, energies
Of my accumulation.

They bring pictures to mind of
forgone friends and fascinations;
Grabbing my heartstrings and holding them hostage.

I put them away –
unable to part with them

There they will rest –
waiting until they are released once again
from their dark resting place
by me or by my successor
Who will wonder –
“Why did he keep all this junk!”

November 1999

One of my friends at school wanted a copy to put in her closet so that when she passed on her kids would find it when they had to clean out her closet.

Feel free to leave comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there!
about an hour ago i was "googling" craig ferguson when i came across your lovely blog and here i still am. i just had to let you know that your writing has me hooked. thornton wilder comes to mind and oddly the choreographer agnes demille. that would actually make sense to another old ballet dancer, lol. i found this poem "my closet" especially touching.

cathy in massachusetts