Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Nephew

My nephew Jonathan had his picture on the front page of the Ames Daily Tribune tonight. He works at the Flying Buritto and he and a co-worker were chopping onions. It was kind of neat to see him there.

He came over today and picked up his dog and took him on an excursion to Pine Lake. I think they had fun. Max really adores Jon and I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual. Max behaves well for Jon and watches him constantly when he is over here. His cat also lives with me and she earns her keep by keeping the rodents out of the house. I enjoy having both of them here.

I have enjoyed watching Jon mature into the man he is today. He has a lot going for him and I am very proud of him. He and I used to go on trips when I was a delegate to the National Education Association. He has been to New Orleans, twice, Atlanta, Orlando, and Washington, DC. Of course we went to Savannah, Memphis, Charleston and points inbetween. We also took a trip to St. Louis one time when the Assembly meetings were in Minneapolis. They were great trips and I am lucky to have had him to take with me. Seeing these places with him made it much more enjoyable Being an Uncle is one of the greatest things in the world. All of the joy and none of the responsibility...

I love road trips. It is so much better than flying. This summer my friends and I are going to drive to Houston by way of San Antonio to attend the United Grand Imperial Conclave of the Red Cross of Constantine. I have usually driven to these myself and it will be fun to have Glenn and his wife Freddie to travel with.

The numbers keep going up on the counter so I know that somebody is reading this. Hope it is not to boring. And oh yes, the snow is melting and I feel Spring in the air.

No comments: