Saturday, March 6, 2010

My "North Star."


I wrote the following Essay for the second Scottish Rite Master Craftsman program quiz. I think it is worth sharing.


My “North Star”

(Essay # 3 Quiz 3)

The North Star is fixed in the heavens and is used by those who would travel our world as a fixed point or a reference point so that they will be able to find their way. This essay asks me what is my “North Star” what do I use to guide my life so that I do not lose my way. What are the tenets that I follow in my life to guide my dealings with others and keep me on the path?

Over the years these tenets have probably changed as I have matured but I think basically they remain the same.

I grew up in a small town in Iowa and did not have a great deal of experience with other cultures. I was raised by a divorced mother who lived with her parents and they instilled in me a respect for other people. My grandparents and my mother taught me that a life of service to others was the most rewarding life a person could have. My grandparents took care of other folks and helped out a lady who had lost her family and were able to help her to get into a home. Another woman lost her husband and was left with three (or four) children to raise. They were able to help her keep her home and her family became our family.

They taught me to be unselfish, caring and loving and to have respect for all persons, No matter their color or culture. My mother was a lot like them. She loved people and was always giving of herself. She once told me that rather than have me purchase a brick for the “Plaza of Heroines” at Iowa State University she would prefer that I spent the money to help someone. The charitable contributions which I make in her memory continue to honor her and are a part of my “North Star.”

I think it is because of their deep love for others that caused them to be such an inspiration to me and is probably one of the reasons I devoted my life as an elementary teacher to “other people’s children.”

My experience with the Masonic Fraternity has also affirmed this “North Star” of my life. Because of the nature of the Masons and the Fraternity millions of dollars are given to Charity each year. Not only in money but in service to others. Hospitals are visited, widows are helped, children are taught and have better lives because of the service component of our great fraternity.

Masonry sits side by side with my “North Star of Service.

In 1976 I joined the Scottish Rite and a new vista of service was opened up to me. The Scottish Rite exists to increase man’s wisdom and to support those institutions which will make our world a better place in which to live. Pike writes, “To elevate the people by teaching loving-kindness and wisdom, with power to him who teaches best; and to develop the free State from the rough ashlar; -- this is the great labor in which Masonry desires to lend a helping hand.”

The Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite states that:

“It is the mission of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, SJ, to improve its members and enhance the communities in which they live by teaching and emulating the principles of Brotherly Love, Tolerance, Charity, and Truth while actively embracing high social, moral, and spiritual values including fellowship, compassion, and dedication to God, family and country.”

I humbly suggest that the mission statement above would lead a Mason to a life of learning and service. “North Stars” which are worthy to keep in our minds and our sight.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

that was lovely; thank you for posting it.