Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ruminations of a Retired Reprobate

Several years ago I was invited to a wedding. A judge had said that people in same sex relationships were entitled to be legally married in Iowa. There was a race to get married by couples. One couple made it before he put a stay on the order but another couple (friends of mine) had their license but would have to wait.  They decided to go ahead and get married and there were a lot of us at their wedding. One of them remarked that it was the first time they had kissed in public and they had been together for 25 years. Of course they had to wait until the Supreme Court weighed in allowed his ruling to stand and Iowa's Gay marriages were allowed to proceed.  At that point the wedding I had attended became legal and Terry and Mark were, in fact, married.  I was (and am) extremely happy for them.

I could remember a couple of men who regularly visited my Grandmother's antique shop to buy and sell antiques.  She referred to them as "the boys" (this was in the late 1940s.  I didn't pay much attention to that or to them but I did remember years later when I was more aware of "things" figuring out that they were probably more than just a couple of guys who went antiquing together.

I personally have no desire to be married.  I enjoy not being married.  In fact one of the things that I dread the most is the idea of winding up in a nursing home where I have to deal with a lot of people every day.  I taught school and loved it and I loved my kids but I also loved my time in the summer when I could just be alone and read a book and not have to deal with anyone else.  I do quite well with Molly and Cassie and my Kindle. Don't get me wrong, I love going out to be with people. I enjoy the most going out to eat with one or two people but I like to go to movies and plays alone and I don't mind eating alone.  I used to take a book with me every where.  Now I take my Kindle.  I can sit and watch a lake or a river or just the gentle breeze move the leaves and be quite content.

However I believe that if people want to be married they ought to be able to. I understand why partnered people want and need to have the protection of marriage and why their families also deserve that protection.  So when I happened across this ad for Same Sex Marriage from Illinois (on Americablog) and found it to be so well done I need to share it.



The one thing I do know is that it is LOVE that holds these families together and LOVE created these families and nothing the haters say can convince me otherwise. And since God is LOVE those haters are showing hatred for something that God created.

So it is with pride that I stand with these families and sincerely hope (but do not expect) that the United States Supreme Court will make the broadest possible ruling about the two cases that are before it at this time. As the video says "It's Just Time"

No comments: