Saturday, May 14, 2011

This 'n That / How much do you know about Islam?

Found this on a friend's Facebook page -

Wishing You A Fantabulous Celebration On The Momentous Occasion Of The Anniversary Of Your Nativity! May Your Next Solar Revolution Bestow Upon You A Plethora Of Blessings.

It reminded me of an exercise I used to do with the students.  I called it Blovation.  Take a simple sentence and rewrite it using larger complicated words.  Then read it out and have the other kids guess what it was.  The above is of course Happy Birthday and good luck for the new year.

Try it it is fun.

Quote for today (or any day if you wish.)

...I can’t understand how anyone with a conscience or a soul could be a Republican at this point in history. By their fruits ye shall know them, and their fruits are poisonous: greed, depredation, callousness, cruelty, selfishness, self-righteousness, hatred, bigotry, hatred and, of course, hatred.


For those planning on leaving on the 21st. Put the car in the drive and leave the keys in the ignition. Oh and it would help to have filled the tank before you go.

I listened to the Opera on the radio as my body is too sore from the fall yesterday.  Took aspirin last night and this morning and still moving rather slowly.  Enjoying some Iowa Bourbon and perhaps that will help.  Tonight I will enjoy some DVR tv and a Netflix movie and perhaps some "on demand"  - I would read but that would involve holding the book and turning the page... effort, it is not in my future.

I am glad Blogger restored everything.  I did have to go in and fix some things but everything seems up to date now.

BeliefBlog has a post on our disposable Jesus for those who are interested.  Fundies take note you probably won't like it. It got me to thinking about something I had learned when I was teaching and we had a chance to study the beliefs of others. Did you know it was a requirement of Islam to give alms to the poor?
  Some information below.  May open your eyes.  Of course there are those who practice Islam the way some practice Christianity.  Not the way it was intended at all.


Zakāt

One of the five pillars of Islam.


"Charity (virtue) "alms giving", one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is the giving of 2.5% of one's possessions (surplus wealth) to charity, generally to the poor and needy.
The others are:



Shahada - A statement of Faith in One God (called Allah) and professing that Mohammed is his prophet.


Salat- prayer - Five times a day.

Sawm - Fasting 


Hajj - pilgrimage.


Have a great Sunday. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

No comments: