Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This 'n That


Not much to report.  I have been at home for about 4 days.  No desire to go out or do anything.  I went to Lodge for dinner Thursday night and needed to go to the grocery store so I went there instead of going to the Lodge meeting.  Then since I did not need to go out I didn't.  I mostly read and watched some T V,    I finished a book  Prophet of Bones -  "Paul Carlson, a brilliant young scientist, is summoned from his laboratory job to the remote Indonesian island of Flores to collect DNA samples from the ancient bones of a strange, new species of tool user unearthed by an archaeological dig. The questions the find raises seem to cast doubt on the very foundations of modern science, which has proven the world to be only 5,800 years old, but before Paul can fully grapple with the implications of his find, the dig is violently shut down by paramilitaries."

I gave it 3 stars and I wrote - I enjoyed this book for the possibilities which it raised in my mind for alternative reality and evolution. The scientific material was a little above my level but the story and action kept me interested

After I finished that I started The Cove.  So far I am really enjoying it. I'll let you know more when I finish it.





Then on Monday I decided I had better get out of the house.  I went to pick up my new shoes which I will have to get used to.

Then I came home and took care of some business for my (new) insurance agent. Finally I went down to Cinemark and went to see Red 2

I (along with 71% of the audiences) enjoyed it according to Rotten Tomatoes and I loved Helen Merrin.  It made my afternoon enjoyable.  I seemed to be the only one in the audience laughing at times.

While I was at the bank I ran into a friend I had not seen for ages. We got to talking and she asked me about someone that she thought was related to me.  turns out he wasn't but I know him and there is a connection to a member of my family.  She wanted to know what was "wrong" with him.  Turns out he is kind of loud and "scary" and she wondered what he was doing at her church.. She mentioned that she avoids sitting near him. -  This lead to further conversations about church.  I mentioned that I no longer attend church. I told her that someone Thursday night told me that I might like to attend such and such a church and I told him I consider it unnecessary.  Said I was a "Church Alumni" - She asked me why I felt that way.  I told her I didn't like "Christians" very much.  That I didn't like the homophobia, and anti woman, unwelcoming behavior. I think she left with something to think about...


I stopped at Panera tonight and picked up a loaf of bread and a cinnamon roll for breakfast and some lemon chicken soup for supper.  I guess the one balances the other.



No comments: